Patrick McManus

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of, if not, my favorite authors. Have owned and read most of his books. Didn't know he also wrote novels. His outdoor stories were comical but realistic to the point where most of us have had similar situations happen.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Adios Pat, I sure enjoyed all your books and the smiles and laughs you gave me.

I think I have all his books. When I'm a little down I read a couple of stories and feel lighter and a little better.

Thanks Pat!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pat and Retch get their 1st car and it smokes something awful. If I recall correctly, the town cop pulls them over for impeding traffic and his greeting for them is something to the effect of, "What are you boys burning for fuel, wet leaves?"

Rancid is feeling under the weather. Goombaw sends chicken noodle soup for Rancid in a whiskey jug. Pat delivers it and Rancid takes a big 'ol gulp, expecting whiskey. Then he spits it out and exclaims, "It's Spiled (spoiled), and it's got dayed (dead) worms in it!"

If I remember right he gets a hatchet for christmas when he's pre-teen, and just after opening it, he's told, "Don't chop anything."

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn. Biggest belly laugh I've ever had was the first time I read "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" Been a fan ever since.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Read everything I could get my hands on. Laughed at every story or one liners. I will miss him.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember growing up and every time I got a new outdoor life in the mail I would read his story first.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
RIP Pat! :( I to, read his articles in Outdoor Life. They were fun to read and always made me laugh.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two that stand out for me was ice fishing with Rancid and the house was blowing across the lake with Rancid in it and he was leaving claw marks in the ice. The other one was called Gun Runnin, and it was about getting a new gun past his wife that he called Bun number 3.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
He had me rolling on the floor laughing at times. I remember the story about his first deer and how he had to take it home down the mountain on his bicycle. There was also the one (what happened to your eyebrows?) where he and Retch were building black powder guns, decided that was getting too dangerous and decided to build a cannon, you didn't have to hold it. It blew up and a police officer came by and asked the two boys about why they were smoking? They told the cop that if he would have been there a couple of minutes earlier he would have seen them when they were on fire.

How was fishing, he had 2 six inchers and couple of small ones.

Last edited:

Josh Havelka

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great books. My grandfather gave me the grasshopper trap book. The skunk ladder reminds me of when my friends and I dug a hole out on the ranch at caught many different animals and had to make a ladder for them to get out.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 6th grade teacher used to read us Patrick McManus as a special treat. Man, our whole classed loved the stories.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I liked Pats stories so much was because I had a Retch, Rancid and Troll in my life story. My wife's nickname is Bun for the record.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Man, I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life than when reading some of his books. He was great at what he did.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76