Kids n Caves

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go Kids Go, that looks like a bunch very brave people working to save those kids and their coach

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Killed one rescuer so far so definitely not an easy gig. I'm a little curious if the kids know one of the rescuers died? seems kind of like some info that might be best not to let them know until they're out no reason to scare them anymore than they already are.

campchef

Honored Member
I get the "willies" just thinking of the trek out of there. Narrow passages, dirty water, I just hope no one panics.

Jdubya

Established Member
Hope they get them all out safely, but I gotta ask, why did they go in the cave in the first place???

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I understood it was this a pretty popular tourist attraction. I guess they were chancing it being monsoon season can arrive any day. I also heard people getting killed in there has happened before.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
As a long time scuba diver I’d love to hear the technology used to extract young kids in that situation, many who don’t even know how to swim. And for such long distances. Having cave dived a bit at a younger stupider age, going through narrow passages requiring removing your equipment and pushing it ahead, etc. Then thinking of how to get a sick weakened non swimmer 12 year old to do it. It’s be like going through a jagged 30 inch bent culvert. Even with expert SEALS helping them........mind boggling!
Sure wish them well with the remaining kids. Sounds like they need to block off the entrance of that cave to prevent this from happening again.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I understand it, they went in as do many. It's an attraction. But as waters rose, they were forced further and further into the cave.

For those trapped, and the rescuers - God Speed.

I get clammy feeling just thinking about it. Heights don't scare me a lot, and don't have any other phobias, but that underwater/dark cave/trapped stuff.

I gotta go lay down.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
4 more out! Sounds like they need to recharge all their equipment, take a break and rest up, then get the last ones out. Way to go Seals, divers and the hundreds of support volunteers!

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just thinking.....how'd you like to be the last one left to get out and sit there alone.....waiting...ugh....has to mess with your head.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody remember that guy alive in a sunken ship a year or three ago? He was a cook or something, and had spent a day or two or four trapped in a sunken ship, with an airpocket around his head.

Umm, I gotta go lay down again. I'm clampin' up.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody remember that guy alive in a sunken ship a year or three ago? He was a cook or something, and had spent a day or two or four trapped in a sunken ship, with an airpocket around his head.

Umm, I gotta go lay down again. I'm clampin' up.

Yep, that was mindblowing.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just thinking.....how'd you like to be the last one left to get out and sit there alone.....waiting...ugh....has to mess with your head.

Well my math says 4 at a time means one more trip with kids, then a solo trip for teacher. I would think the teacher would be last. I read they took the strongest first, I suppose to test the system. Really amazing how resourceful and strong humans can be.

I don't think submarines are for me, or wet caves for that matter... Even in a dry cave when they cut the lights to show you how dark it really is kind gets to me before they turn them back on...

I read a story about a russian submarine crew, not sure if it was speculation, or based on evidence as I don't think there were survivors, really made me glad to be a landlubber.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have seen cave diving in MX firsthand. That water is so clear -- it takes the breath out of one snorkeling (we were snorkeling the cenote) above watching a party of people dropping down and the amount of gear they had to take ---- all doing it for fun. It seemed like they had to stop many times before they even got down to the bottom to start out. Our guide showed us the cenote they would dive too and it seemed like a mile away -- you would have to love tight places.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
i have seen cave diving in MX firsthand. That water is so clear -- it takes the breath out of one snorkeling (we were snorkeling the cenote) above watching a party of people dropping down and the amount of gear they had to take ---- all doing it for fun. It seemed like they had to stop many times before they even got down to the bottom to start out. Our guide showed us the cenote they would dive too and it seemed like a mile away -- you would have to love tight places.

We've done Cenote diving in the Yucatán several trips. The nice thing there is the water in crystal clear but pretty darned cold. You can see forever with your dive light but don’t get sidetracked. Stay with the dive guide who carries an extra tank and regulator in case yours takes the afternoon off and near the line they’ve laid throughout those underground rivers so you know how to get back should anything bad happen. First time we did cavern diving the dive guide and his buddy drove my wife and I way back in the jungle,stopped by a little water hole, maybe 10 Feet across then told us to get ready. READY? We wondered if they were going to mug us!., Thought he was kidding till some air bubbles came out of this hole followed by a couple of divers. Great dive though. We ultimately surfaced in a cavern filled with big bats hanging from the roof with the cavern filled with colorful stalagmites and stalactites. Never forget that one! First of many.
yucatan diving is easy compared to what they have to do in Thailand, though. Muddy water, navigate by feel through a few miles of jagged rock passages! Not for me.

For tourists, a lot of dive places sink old ships for dive sites, and with some you can come up in partly flooded rooms inside the hull. I always think of what it must be like for poor sailors trapped in a cold sunken ship slowly running out of air knowing they cant be saved. Horrible!

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
All out. Way to go! I’m anxious to hear about the dive technology and human factors they had to figure out. You can bet there’ll be lots of articles and more than one book out fairly soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76