Sharp-tails/ MT

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back in the early 80s I hunted antelope between Circle and Jordan. It looked like grouse country but I didn't have a dog along. Next fall I'd like to go back for birds with the dogs and a small camper for a week or so. Thought maybe some here might have big game experience in the area and could give a general idea of grouse numbers in that country.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started looking into going to montana for sept 1 grouse and hun opener. ordered there block mgt maps, did you ever get any info?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No, I did not. An issue came up that will keep me closer to home. Most western states open grouse September 1st regardless which day it falls on and ND should do the same. We miss so many days hunting because of the late opener. By the end of September you are pretty much done as the sharp-tails get spooky.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes nd opens on the 14th this year so I am heading to region 6 for the sept 1st opener, hoping to find huntable population of huns. ordered a block mgt guide that comes out on 8-15.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not hunted there, but in my travels I have seen grouse. It's as good of looking sharpie country as anywhere, I'd say go and see what you find.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i went there last year and even with 75 percent of the crop still on i found birds, there block mgt is great

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunted for 4 days, more crops off this year than there was last year. saw lots of sharpies, pheasants and a few huns. saw one other guy hunting from wyoming.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good you got into birds. Most people seem to like Block Management, maybe should try it here.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good you got into birds. Most people seem to like Block Management, maybe should try it here.
Yeh it’s a great deal it’s a more structured version on ND’s PLOTS . Montana has something like 8-10 million acres of BMA’s . It’s awesome way to get on private without owning land

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
blocks mgt is great a lot more acres than plots, feel plots is still a good deal gives a guy someplace to hunt.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You grouse guyz,how do you cook'em? my experience with sharpies and praire chickens,gamey as hell,100% of these birds were taken in nebraska,open praire sage country,so like nebraska antelope gamey from sage even when soaked in vinegar/salt water,curious.

Happycamper

Honored Member
When you let them stew in their own juices in your hunting vest on hot days? expect it. Get them drawn and on ice ASAP. Same for prong horn

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx hap,yeah I gut/skin' them right away after they drop,same with pheasants,but even the mushroom soup in slow cooker is lame.Some folks like the gamey taste,even diver ducks,buddies love em,let them hang for 3 days(diver ducks) then clean 'em....ishta.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You grouse guyz,how do you cook'em? my experience with sharpies and praire chickens,gamey as hell,100% of these birds were taken in nebraska,open praire sage country,so like nebraska antelope gamey from sage even when soaked in vinegar/salt water,curious.

I cut the breast in small chunks, like the size of a quarter, and marinate in Sprite & a dash of A-1 for a couple hours. Grill on a skewer with veggies or fry in butter with mushrooms. Don't over cook, pink in the middle. Just as good as the best beef tips. We never have enough grouse on the table for the 2 of us.

bilbo

Honored Member
I made fajitas with some last year and it was excellent. The gaminess seemed to complement the seasonings and not only was it edible, I actually really liked it. All the other times I've made grouse it was because I felt obligated to eat it. I'm actually looking forward to making more of this.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75