Favorite Kind of ice shelter

Best Ice Shelter Type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RRmaniac

Established Member
What is the overall best kind of ice shelter? Most versatile, portable, comfortable, etc.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m a fan of the flip overs for one or two guys for mobility and better seating, and the pup-up hubs for more than two. Always insulated!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started ice fishing with the old hinged plywood and plastic tarp fish shack. Was reasonably comfortable but not mobile at all and hard to handle by myself. I eventually bought a suitcase model (20 years ago). It was warmer than the wood/tarp guy and I could handle it myself so I could take my 2 young kids ice fishing and could pull it out on the lake by hand. I bought an insulated hub last year and really like it. It is light and can throw it in my sled so I can still handle it on my own. I originally thought a floor less house would not be comfortable but it has been fine. I have avoided flip overs because I feel like they are more for people that like to fish solo. I can't afford a wheeler cause I have a sparkly boat. I also don't like having to drive on the ice.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite depends completely on the wind. Over a 15 ish mph wind, my favorite is the heavy duty permanent with a sturdy door and snow banked to the windows, some beers, and a dependable 15000 BTU propane furnace. Under 15 ish mph wind, my favorite is the flip over, a sunflower heater, and a fully charged ION. I can almost troll for fish and if the sun is out, I don't have to do the flip over until I find fish and I can drink a beer between spots. Sorry, but you didn't have that as an option.

FishinRN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my wheel house because the adventure of trying a new lake and making a multiple day vacation out of it outweighs mobility and likely possibility of catching more fish. The comfort of the wheel house allows my entire family to participate in an activity i would otherwise be doing myself.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have only been ice fishing for 3 years...my experience the first year was with all my gear in a jet sled...no protection. The next year bought a 1 man flip over and a Buddy Heater. So my vote is for the flip over...hands down! All my gear fits in the bottom of it, if it's warm out don't even need to set it up, got a cover for it so when I go with friends that have wheelers my stuff doesn't blow out!

nybs

Honored Member
I also like the flip over, but the hubs are growing on me. Might need to add one of those to the arsenal as the kids get more interested...my son wasn’t too comfortable on the cup holder insert last year;)

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also like the flip over, but the hubs are growing on me. Might need to add one of those to the arsenal as the kids get more interested...my son wasn’t too comfortable on the cup holder insert last year;)

Picked up an insulated hub last year for family. GREAT investment

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the open if possible is my favorite, but that is rare. I like a hub if on fish. Sitting on a bucket chasing tipups in the open is a day good day when fish are active and the sun is shining

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the ice is thin and I’m by myself or with one other guy I like the flip over. If the kids are with the hub comes out most the time if I can drives out. If I’m by myself and the ice is thick enough to drive on it’s the front seat of my pickup. I’ll drill a bunch of holes then just drive to each one till I find fish.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only way I could get my wife to go ice fishing is if I took her urn along.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been searching for a hub style thermal this year. Luckily, I haven't needed it and have just fished outside, but I have three kids and they will begin to join me shortly.

FWIW - L&M Supply has some pretty legit deals on ice fishing shelters. Can get a brand new Clam Refuge Thermal for like $279.00 right now, fishes 4-6..... so 4 max.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Each option has its plus' and minus'.

I love my sled style flip over. What I hate is everything being beat up on a run across the lake and the hole in the sled (2 year old Mitchel Thermal...shoulda bought an Otter). I love to run and gun and have well set up 4 wheeler and snowmobile that can carry everything needed for a long day on the ice. I will be getting a small thermal hub so I can carry it on the wheeler or snowmobile with nothing dragging behind me. Just like in boats there is not one that is perfect and they all have their place.

When I can get the truck out I prefer to drill numberous holes and fish out of the drivers seat.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished portables for yrs. It was the only things I could afford. Now its a nice wheelhouse. Get to where I want to fish. Drill 8 holes and set it down on the ice. If I move it takes all of 10 mins to get it in the air and take off. Just because its a big house doesnt mean it takes long to move. If im moving a 1/2 mile it takes the same amount of time as a portable. And when I get to the spot my house is still 70 degress. Pop the covers pull out the Ion and drill 8 holes again and set it down. Go out and start the generator and Im watching a movie in a tee shirt and making popcorn. Life is good

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife bought me an Ice Castle when I retired. Most years I don't make it out more than one or two times and that's in an insulated hub. I have a 7x7 Black Ice that I use most, but I also have a Clam 1660 mag insulated. I have not fished out of the Clam, but I have been very comfortable camping in the mountains with it. Even in 50mph wind and rain when I had to the it to the vehicle running bords. 20170918_151614_001.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76