Ford is debuting a diesel engine for the F-150 pickup truck for the first time.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Similar HP/TQ #'s to the original mid-90's 7.3L Powerstroke. It would be intelligent of them to have reversed the flow on the heads like they did on the 6.7L in order to mimic that instant throttle response the 6.7L has compared to the 7.3/6.0/6.4, can't find any info yet on whether they did or didn't do it.

If the reliability is good it might be a really nice alternative to some of the smaller SUV/CUV vehicles for people who spend a lot of time on the Hwy.

I sure like the idea of a 1/2 ton pickup that gets mileage similar to a Ford Escape, Nissan Murano, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, etc. while also having the ability to hook up the boat or ATV/Fish-house.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it is a fuel economy play according to USA today. According to them, The Ford powertrain team responsible for the 6.7-liter engine in F-series Super Duty trucks since 2011 designed and engineered the all-new 3-liter, 6-cylinder diesel to the specific needs of North America. It is an F-150-specific derivative of the diesel engine built at a Ford plant in the United Kingdom, and inserted into a military-grade aluminum-alloy body at F-series plants stateside.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think that Ford diesel has been in the F-150 in the European market for quite some time. Hopefully it's been tested and will work well.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder why they would do that when they are so proud of their EcoBoost?

Markets and strategies change. Kinda like Chevy claiming that the aluminum body was expensive and junky but now Chevy also has one. Gotta sell what's on the lots before you brag up the latest and greatest new technology.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a range rover jaguar 3.0 diesel engine
Range rover makes some nice vehicles so i am assuming the motor should be reliable

- - - Updated - - -

Markets and strategies change. Kinda like Chevy claiming that the aluminum body was expensive and junky but now Chevy also has one. Gotta sell what's on the lots before you brag up the latest and greatest new technology.

Chevy Silverado bed will still be made of steal

- - - Updated - - -

www.pickuptrucks2018.com/toyota-tundra-diesel/

I see Toyota tundra is getting a diesel as well a, v8 cummins diesel in 2018 19

- - - Updated - - -

And here is the chevy 1500 with a diesel engine

www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1706-spied-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-diesel/

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Current GM 1/2 ton's have an aluminum hood and that's about it for aluminum body panels. Next gen will probably have more aluminum but I think GM has made it clear that they will stick with steel for the bed floor.

GM is supposed to be releasing the complete specs for the next gen 2019 Silverado this Saturday. They too are suppose to be offering a 1/2 ton diesel. Will be interesting to see what kind of real wold fuel economy these new 1/2 ton diesels will get. With the up-charge for the engine along with the higher cost of diesel fuel, the cost per mile might not be much lower then a gasser.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the engine is made by ford than I'm sure they will keep with there long tradition of making POS diesel engines like they have since they scraped the 7.3. I've always been a Ford guy but they really suck at making diesels

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chevy said the aluminum bed was junk Chevy has a steel bed so you can drop tool boxes and rocks in it and only get dents that will rust not holes lol

- - - Updated - - -

I think the new 6.7 is pretty decent.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Until Chevrolet repays the billions in bailouts stolen from tax payers, they can straight up suck an egg. I would rather ride horse everywhere than give them sonsabitches a dime.

I have the 5 Ltr Ford F-150 on order for a work vehicle. Pretty excited for it to come in. Also thinking a dodge might be acceptable in the upgrade realm

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the engine is made by ford than I'm sure they will keep with there long tradition of making POS diesel engines like they have since they scraped the 7.3. I've always been a Ford guy but they really suck at making diesels

Don't you mean Navistar sucks at making diesels? Navistar made the 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.4L. The current 6.7L is In-House Ford from the ground up and they're as good as anything in their class.

You'd be hard pressed to find a significant difference in durability and reliability between Ford, Chevy, and Ram's current 6.7/6.6/6.7's on the road today.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't you mean Navistar sucks at making diesels? Navistar made the 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.4L. The current 6.7L is In-House Ford from the ground up and they're as good as anything in their class.

You'd be hard pressed to find a significant difference in durability and reliability between Ford, Chevy, and Ram's current 6.7/6.6/6.7's on the road today.

I didn't know that, but the 6.0 don't get me started on that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also heard every time Ford puts a different engine in that the new ones are great, 5 years later not so much. They need to prove it before I believe it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to have the half tons more than 3 inches off the ground with a bunch of plastic shit hanging off it. The diesel in the Toyota interests me a little

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand the fascination with diesels in the 1/2 tons. I currently run a 3/4 ton diesel (for pulling a 5th wheel) and in the near future when I get rid of the camper I will get a 1/2 ton gasser without question. I guess the mileage would be a little better and a little more torque but doesn't appear to be worth it when you factor in the upfront cost, maintenance costs and potential winter issues. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice to tow with it and if you tow that much you probably have a 3/4 ton already. Maybe I'm way off base here??????

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand the fascination with diesels in the 1/2 tons. I currently run a 3/4 ton diesel (for pulling a 5th wheel) and in the near future when I get rid of the camper I will get a 1/2 ton gasser without question. I guess the mileage would be a little better and a little more torque but doesn't appear to be worth it when you factor in the upfront cost, maintenance costs and potential winter issues. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice to tow with it and if you tow that much you probably have a 3/4 ton already. Maybe I'm way off base here??????
I'm with ya. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand the fascination with diesels in the 1/2 tons.

I think it stems from how far superior diesels were compared to gas options in both mileage and towing capability as crew-cab pickups gained in exponential popularity.

Mid-late 90's, look at how superior a 7.3 Powerstroke was to either the 5.8L (351 CID) or 7.5L (460CID) gas, 6.6L Duramax to the 5.7L (350CID) 7.4L (454CID) gas, or 5.9L Cummins to 5.9L (360CID) gas.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79