Jigging rap rod

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What length, action, and weight of rod do you like for jigging raps in open water? I be been using a MH 7’ baitcaster with a fast action. Just wondering what works best for everyone else?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I used a 6'10"ml extra fast fenwick elitetech, this year I used a 6' 3" m extra fast tip elitetech and also a 6ft med extra fast scheels pro guide, all spinning the 6'3" with a quantum smoke was by far my favorite of the 3.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
the ml is 1/8 to 5/8 the m is 1/8-3/4

- - - Updated - - -

the medium is the original/old style elitetech

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 6-6” legend tournament St. Croix medium action extra fast rod. That’s been my favorite so far for vertical jigging raps.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Getting your cadence down is probably more important than the rod. I use braid/nano on all my rods but thinking about going to mono for jig rapping or staying with super line and going to a softer rod. Some days it’s a real bitch keeping fish buttoned up on them things. Thinking maybe some more give somewhere might help. (I always go atleast a size up on the belly treble too)

- - - Updated - - -

62BB5790-A1DF-49F9-8F6E-F600DCCDB186.jpg
Unless they woof it then your line and rod doesn’t matter - that’s the ideal scenario

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year i got turned onto 14lb fireline to a suffix flouro 20lb leader material, that was a real game changer in keeping fish buttoned up and lure action/fouling. I have been leaving the jigging rap and Johnny darter trebles stock at least until fish destroy them but I have been replacing the shiver minnow trebles with a short shanked bigger treble. As far as the spinning rods go I like a combo that is light under 6'6" smaller reel and stout with a fast to extra fast tip. I don't like anything that feels whippy seems like it takes twice the energy to work the bait, and I thought I missed more of the falling hook ups or top of rip.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anything that is 6'6-6'10 in ML. I like to have a little whip action. I tried a MH and I thought it was too firm for my liking. Does anyone else foul hook them a lot? I have hooked them in the side underneath there head and everywhere in between. I figured it was the darting action but maybe I just suck at it.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anything that is 6'6-6'10 in ML. I like to have a little whip action. I tried a MH and I thought it was too firm for my liking. Does anyone else foul hook them a lot? I have hooked them in the side underneath there head and everywhere in between. I figured it was the darting action but maybe I just suck at it.

Yep seems very common. I think it’s the darting/covering a lot of water and fish seem to swing and miss a lot thus get foul hooked. I’m sure you’ve felt the tail whap your line on the fall when they chase it down. Dang fun way to fish

- - - Updated - - -

Ahab is a WAY better jig rapper than me. I just do what he does. I’m no expert

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing I’ve noticed when jig rapping is your net man has to be Johnny on the spot. Once that fish hits the surface it’s gotta be in the net. I’ve screwed this up many times being said net man

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 foot Medium Heavy Moderate action in a St. Croix Walleye tournament & I also like the 6'8" Medium Fast Action also in the Walleye Tournament. The 7 footer is my favorite, helps keep fish on. I also like using Flat Jigs so the MH works better for me. I use 10# fireline with a 15# Floro leader.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut the bottom 15 in off a 7.5ft MH very fast action. The shorter length is easy on the body when ripping jigging raps and the very fast action pretty much sets the hook on it's own.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rod I’ve been using is an MHX blank 7” 1/4 to 3/4 oz fast action built with a casting grip. I like using mono for jigging raps because I like the stretch when jigging almost vertical. Haven’t had issues having them come unbuttoned as much. I was asking because I was wondering if a lighter rod would work better. I was wondering if the lift was too “snappy” with that action. I’ve caught fish and some nice ones, but never really crushed them fishing raps. It probably is more of a cadence thing.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using mostly a 6' 3" MXF St. Croix Legend Xtreme. Sometimes use my 5' 9" MXF for 'ducer jigging and 6' 10" MLXF or MXF if that's what's in the boat. I can't really say which one is best. I think the 6' 3" is the happy medium. Been using 12lb Nano w/15lb flouro leader. Power Pro will loop around your tip eyelet when snap jigging into the wind. It's probably my favorite way to catch the big girls as long as they don't FALL OFF!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do what ahab tells me to do. Then I get frustrated when I don't get the same results. Then I get voluntold to clean 23" fish in front of some angry locals.

I demoed a couple of JT Custom Rods this summer. Besides one factory defect on the black reign, the entire lineup was pretty well suited to a jiggin rap. I personally use my 7' MXF scheels walleye series rod most of the time. Ahab is correct, powerpro will wrap around your tip top a lot. I will be using mono going forward.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do what ahab tells me to do. Then I get frustrated when I don't get the same results. Then I get voluntold to clean 23" fish in front of some angry locals.

I demoed a couple of JT Custom Rods this summer. Besides one factory defect on the black reign, the entire lineup was pretty well suited to a jiggin rap. I personally use my 7' MXF scheels walleye series rod most of the time. Ahab is correct, powerpro will wrap around your tip top a lot. I will be using mono going forward.

I will never forget that evening. You got thrown to the wolves and lived to tell about it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

7D44381A-9A90-43B7-857F-69427EA46C1F.jpg
D1ABAD59-37D9-4B7D-83BA-9E82417AEDA3.jpg

We made dirtymike clean the fish and the locals tried giving him a lesson on why slot limits are needed and I lol’d

- - - Updated - - -

Holy hell sorry for the multiple pics didn’t realize posting from an iPhone was near impossible

Attachments

C2311E07-58E4-4943-913D-EE38E1F3B4F0.jpg B316F600-A5B6-48AD-84FA-0079D87160F5.jpg 44C4EC4E-3498-40A4-820E-AAEC18314971.jpg BE1D38FE-8B95-4A67-9D28-35D2E68E33A7.jpg

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'8" Medium Extra Fast. The rod model is LWS68MXF. It's their design for snap jigging. I've got it paired with a Pflueger Patriarch size 25 reel. Really like this set up.
I've also used a Fenwick Elite Tech 6'6" Medium Fast with a Pflueger Supreme XT. That worked OK, but the St. Croix set up seems much lighter and after the day you can tell a difference.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Jigging raps with a baitcaster? My arm hurts just thinking about it.

I prefer any spinning set up with fast action or extra fast, from 6- 6'-6"

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been using the Fox River Rods 7' Medium Spinning Fast Taper and really like it. Nice price point too at $99. Also been using the Fenwick Aetos 7'3" Medium Extra Fast $199. Really like both of them but for the price the Fox River wins. Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 (10-14lb) attached by a small barrel swivel to a 12-18" leader of 15-20lb Berkley 100% flourocarbon leader material. I like the leader material better than regular flouro, it seems stiffer so I don't catch the hooks as often.

You would be surpirsed at the wear on the leader after casting them for a few hours. The flouro is tough, but i still retie when i start to see the wear.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76