Cold weather layering system-What do you all use?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am asking for those cold Nov. and Dec bow hunting days. What do you guys you to keep warm for an extended sit? I'm talking anything from 20* to below 0 temps.

I use a base layer to wick away moisture, then the under armour 4.0 top and bottom. 2 layers on top, then a hoodie, then my scent control jacket and pants.

Wool socks and 1200 gram boots.

Neck gator, and full face mask with beanie.

Hands get the mitten treatment with hand warmers.

If blind hunting, I will bring the heater.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading the hype i finally got on the merino train and it is awsome. Got kryptek merino base and then i got a sitka quater zip which i am amazed with. I am going to by sitka pieces over time to off set cost. I will layer with clothes depending on coldness but having the good base to start is key. I have gave away my under armor after using the sitka and krptek. it stinks after wearing it one day and does not do nearly as good of a job as the merino. i got first lite socks and going to try some darn tough socks the first lite have been the best socks i have ever worn. For boots 400 gram or if really cold my kennetrek packs.

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of a cabelas guy. I purchased the polar-tec series base layers and they do a great job. I also bought one of the heated fleece vests from cabelas which has 3 heat settings and keeps me plenty warm on the mid setting, the battery will last around 5 hours with a full charge. I finish with the under armour rut series jacket and pants, which are very warm by themselves. Usually I wear 2400 gram boots with some toe heaters packed inside. Full face mask and some light gloves with hand warmers in my pockets, I don't like to use bulky gloves or mittens when bow hunting, just my personal preference. The heated vest is by far and away the most important piece of clothing for those cold weather sits.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
next to skin layer - merino wool
sythentic layer - like a quarter zip or sweatshirt
Insulation layer - down, primoloft, etc.
Shell - weather proof outerlayer (pick your brand)

- - - Updated - - -

I loathe big goofy hunting jackets. with proper layering you can stay warm without adding the bulk

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
next to skin layer - merino wool
sythentic layer - like a quarter zip or sweatshirt
Insulation layer - down, primoloft, etc.
Shell - weather proof outerlayer (pick your brand)

- - - Updated - - -

I loathe big goofy hunting jackets. with proper layering you can stay warm without adding the bulk

i completely concur

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd skip the hoodie. Much better options out there. I picked up a Wooltimate vest and pants from Cabelas and love it. Layer up underneath and either put the vest under a shell or on top. Keeping your core warm is your best bet. The mobility in my arms using the vest vs. a coat does not compare. My go to lately for cold has been.. On bottom: base layer, light insualtor, wooltimate pants. Top: base layer, insulator(s), shell, vest. I will say that I miss my Kuiu merino base layers. Damn mice got into them while in storage during a move. I have the under Armour coldsomethingorother now but they are synthetic and are just ok.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
first light merino wool tops and bottoms, carhartt bibs and jacket, face mask......nm I just stay home. At least on the ice I can move around.

- - - Updated - - -

Wags hit the nail on the head. I do add in a badlands vest. That thing is awesome.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been a fan of Merino wool ever since I first tried it. Most of my life I hated wool due to it being so itchy. Good Merino wool doesn't itch at all. Prior to going with wool I'd used some really good synthetic based base layers. Worked good, but like others have said. Wear it once and it stinks. It also seemed to lose it's effectiveness once wet. Wool doesn't have that issue either. I've been using Patagonia products. Merino wool base, then either wool or synthetic after that. For the outer wear I use whatever brand of clothing based on the camo pattern that I like. But I do make sure they're Gortex lined for wind and water protection. I do like the Patagonia brand of wear (base and mid layers as they have no camo). It lasts forever. Great example is their Merino wool. Can't even begin to think of how many times my wool base layers have accidently ended up in the dryer instead of being just air dried. All have kept their shape and effectiveness. But there's a lot of brands out there that work well. One thing to remember is you do get what you pay for. Go on the cheap and you'll be cold and wet. If you want or need to save money, don't buy cheaper gear. Plan ahead and buy at the end of the seasons. Most of these companies have really good end of season web specials. Paying that little extra can make winters and colder periods here in ND so much more pleasurable. You can have your warm weather trips to the south and deal with all the people. I'll stick to enjoying the great freezing cold outdoors of ND.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member

Perch_herder

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast foward four years from this discussion, I am wondering if anyone wants to weigh in any differently about their favorite cold weather layer system. I like my UA 4.0 but was told Sitka is the only way to go. Love to late season pheasant hunt.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sit in the cold allot from dark till dark here and up in Canada every year. You figure out what works and doesn't work that's for sure. Wear whatever layers you want, and yes I'm a huge merino fan. Also like the stand hunter gear by cabelas. But when it's cold and your sitting there all day. I were that stuff and a bag system. I like the iwom and warm bag depending on temps. I like them over the heater body suit simply because my arms can be left out. Although my Canadian hunting partners just had big zippers installed on his HBS as well now. And it's kind of the perfect garment since you can move allot easier in the stand with two separate legs rather than the bag system.
And my favorite way to hunt in the cold here at home is in one of my shadow hunter blinds with the propane heater cranked up! Ha ha
Here's a helpful hint for in a regular pop up or a gard sided blind when it's cold. Get a sunflower head heater, yep the ones that hiss. It's the best thing in the world for covering up unwanted sounds in the blind from moving around. Even on calm days, they must simply think its the wind or something. It works awesome, especially with children in the blind. :;:thumbsup

Warmbag-RT5.jpg

Iwom
20191130_123624.jpg

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heated gyde gloves
Heated gyde socks
Heated gyde jacket
All set on medium
When fishing the dlvfd ice tourney these help great

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast foward four years from this discussion, I am wondering if anyone wants to weigh in any differently about their favorite cold weather layer system. I like my UA 4.0 but was told Sitka is the only way to go. Love to late season pheasant hunt.

I am a Sitka fan I can pretty much layer for anything and not look like the marshmallow man.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a Sitka fan I can pretty much layer for anything and not look like the marshmallow man.

Have you ever sat on a stand all day when its below zero and the winds blowing with that stuff on?
I have, last time I tried it was 2 years ago up near slave lake Alberta on a wolf hunt. After 4-5 hours the bag came out, no way in hell I could have sat.. hell lived those days without the bag system. Most mornings started out at -30 - -40F warmed up to about -20.
It's like the folks that talk up the arctic pro muck boots, you want to lose your toes wear those things up north on stand all day.
I could care less what I look like as long as I'm warm and thinking about hunting and not how cold or uncomfortable I am.
Dont get me wrong either I think Sitka makes great stuff.
It's just that theres cold and then theres cold I guess.
I like warm.:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76