New fishing boat Yar Craft

former_nd

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get some opinions on a new fishing rig and have been really surprised at some prices I have come across. I got a quote from a dealer in MN on a new Yar Craft 1785 BT and was pleasantly surprised. I was always led to beleive the glass boats were much more expensive than the aluminum Lund and Alumacraft, but they aren't.

I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions from Yar Craft owners or former owners on options they liked/disliked.

For the most part, I have only fished out of aluminum so far in my life.

Is the 1785 BT underpowered with a 75 Yamaha?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We’ll probably cannot help you much on the 1785. I am however embarking on my 3rd Yar-Craft and can’t say enough good about their boats. Going from an 1895 storm side counsole, to a Bass Cat Calico (186FSX) and now to a 219TFX, I’ve been pleased and impressed with every one! One thing about yarcraft, theirs a fishing or performance related reason for everything they do to these boats. You might not agree with the type of latch or dash layout or something else, but it was built that way for a specific reason. I asked about a few things on my 219 that I didn’t think made sense but there was an ansewer and reason for every question I had. Dealer wise, my Calico cane from Sherms Marine in Indiana while the 219 is from North Country Marine in Garrison. Both were/have been good to work with.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once owned a 16ft Yar, side console, had a 75hp. I believe the max was 90hp. It was not under powered. I googled the 1785 BT and to my surprise its max is 75hp so not sure going bigger is even a choice.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have spent a lot of time in 1785s. I had a tiller with a 75 Merc 2-stroke for many years. I really loved that boat. It controlled great, rode dry for a small tiller (can be wet at times), rode very smooth, and was set up nice for fishing. It would run 34MPH or so and had a good hole shot. Key will be to prop it right. I sold that boat for a 1785 console boat when my kids were little. That one was okay, but was pretty cramped inside. They will handle pretty much any water conditions you want to throw at them. There is a reason that hull has been around since the 80s and has been copied by so many others. My brother ran two 1785 side consoles that were also great boats. The quality has been great on all of them, and both of us now have 209s. The folks at North Country Marine have been good to deal with. I would also take a look at the Backtroller boats built in MN. They look like another nice tiller boat in that 17' class.

former_nd

Hey, thanks for all the responses so far. I'm glad to hear that Yar Craft is still quality built. I was a bit concerned because the price of a new aluminum Lund is nearly the same as the fiberglass Yar Craft. Are there any disadvantages of going with a glass boat? What kind of rod holders do you run?

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All good things to say about my Yar and the North Country Marine dealership!

Fish On!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
One mans con is another’s pro and boat design is all about compromises so keep that in mind.

All three manufactures you mentioned are quality. I assume the comparable boats are the Pro Guide and Competitor.
Some things to think about.

I think the 75hp max is underpowered. Guys have more gear and electronics than ever before. Both the comparable Lund and Alumacraft are rated to 90.

The Yarcraft only has. 85” beam while the Lund and Alumacraft have 93 and 95”. That will give a lot more room and storage in a shorter boat like these.

The Yarcraft does not have center rod storage. Lund and Alumacraft do. There’s a reason almost all new fishing boats you see have a center rod locker. Very convenient. I haven’t looked in detail but I’m guessing the Yarcraft has a bit less storage space over all.

The Yarcraft is fiberglass which is a plus. I like the thought of not having all the wood in a boat. It will also likely track better in the water. The narrower beam plays into that as well. However in this size of boat I don’t think aluminum is at a huge dissadvantage. Shorter tillers like this, your going to get wet and none of them will be that pleasant to be in during rough water.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2008 I bought a ten year old YarCraft 1895 Storm with a 200 two stroke Merc, 9.9 kicker and 24 v trolling motor. It's supposedly a "tournament" boat because it has a 60 gallon fuel tank. I only use it on Metigoshe, altho I originally thought I would trailer it to DL or Sak. Wife wasn't interested enough and loading/unloading solo is a pain ... plus I can catch fish on Metigoshe any day of the week.

I am very happy with my boat and along with my pontoon they will be the last boats I have on Metigoshe. I think highly of YarCrafts, but will admit that I know nothing about their other lines of boats or where you will be fishing. I just hope that you end up happy with whatever boat you get.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a '12 186TFX that I bought in '15 so 4 full seasons on it now. I have no major complaints, and the minor complaints are just that, minor. The gas tank spits fuel out before the pump clicks off (I think they all do from every manufacturer). I love the big live well and big door on top, but, I miss being able to have a seat up on the rear deck. I'd love to have another 6-8" of bow ahead of the windshield but I didn't buy a 20'+ boat, there's only so much room in 18.5'. It rides nice, trolls nice, tracks straight, and is plenty fast for me.

If I were buying new tomorrow YC would certainly be near the top of the decision tree.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on Yar number 5. I know 5 other guys that run them as well. All boats have a few issues and anyone that tells you different shouldn't be trusted.

I obviously love my Yars. Beyond that I love my dealer, North Country Marine, out of Garrison. You can walk out after buying and not be pissed the profit is used on a taj-mahal style building. Family feel that treats you right. After the sale is better than during.

Yar-Craft corporate backs their boats. If there are issues they stand behind them; but there rarely are issues. The hulls are the best on the market. Layouts may be dated; but when they are explained "why" the layout is how it is it all makes sense. Going from high end aluminum to mid-priced glass is still a step up. There are simply things that can be done to a glass mold that you simply cannot do with aluminum. Go ahead and buy the Yar. You wont be disappointed.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an early 2000's yarcraft 1785 SC, i'm waiting for another user one here to chime in because he's had both the SC and the tiller.

I liked my SC overall. there is a comment about that overall storage is lacking on these, and I would agree, but I think I still had 10+ rods in the rod storage area. I sold mine because the floor rotted out/was rotten when i bought it. This was before they used composite materials for the decking.

I really likes how dry the boat was, and that narrower hull cut through the waves a lot better and made it a much smoother ride compared to the lund tiller i have now. I don't think its under powered. You'll probably get 30-35 MPH with it. My lund i get about 36 with a 75 fourstroke merc. I would have no problem going back to a yar, as long as it's 2006 or newer. There was a comment about referencing backtroller boats. You should definitely check them out as well. I believe the Avid has the same hull as the 1785, but everything else is custom to your specifications. http://www.backtroller.com/

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
my old man ran a 1997 Yarcraft 1785 Bt for yrs. He sold it but said biggest mistake he made. I ran it a few times. Had a 90 johnson on it. It was a cherry. Ran smooth in any water. They are a little narrower than I prefer but cut water nicely too so the 75 should be fine unless you're one of those guys with a complex and need to be bigger/faster. Great boats. Yarcraft has reputation of being nicest riding of all glass boats.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say buy the Yar!!!! I've had 3 different 1785's so far (2-side consoles & a tiller). The tiller had a 90 hp yamaha 4stroke on back & i was able to get 36-38 mph out of it. Only reason I got rid of the tiller & went back to the side console was for more speed (current boat is setup with a 150 opti & i can constantly get 48 mph with 2 people & i've topped it out myself at 51). There was plenty of storage for me in the tiller. I used one of the rod lockers as tackle storage, under the front deck had all my life jackets ropes rain gear, & then i plugged off the rear baitwell to use as storage as well. Once my "need for speed" goes away I wouldn't hesitate at all to go back to a 1785 tiller. You will get a little wet, but that boat can handle anything you throw at it. I had my first side console out in 4'-5' waves (anyone remember the prairie knights tourney 4 or 5 years ago?) & that boat handled it like a champ.

former_nd

Thank you all for the great feedback! I might even consider the 186 TFX at the quoted price I received. I just can't figure out why I don't see more Yar Crafts on the water. The lakes are filled with Pro V's which are basically the same price. What kind of maintenance do you guys do on your glass hulls?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would definitely buy glass and have. I looked for another Yar 3 years ago when I was shopping but there weren't many gently used ones available and I couldn't quite afford new. I believe there was a few years where the production of Yars was down because of some ownership change or something and I assumed that was why there weren't as many on the water as other brands. I ended up buying a Ranger.....once you go glass, you won't go back :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75