Milk

Do you shake the milk jug when you pick it up?

• Total voters

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had Tony Tiger for breakfast this morning and just before I poured the milk I shook the jug a couple of times.

The "remember when" thread got me to thinking, I do that every time I pick up a jug of milk. Am I the only one that still does that?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of Milk in jugs. I hate milk in plastic jugs, it has a different taste. Up until recently you could still get half gallon cartons, but I’ve noticed the last few times I’ve went grocery shopping even the half gallons are all in plastic. Have they phased out the cartons completely?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had Tony Tiger for breakfast this morning and just before I poured the milk I shook the jug a couple of times.

The "remember when" thread got me to thinking, I do that every time I pick up a jug of milk. Am I the only one that still does that?

It took a while to get over that habit after we quit milking and moved to town where we bought store milk that was homogenized. Still remember squirting milk in my mouth right from the spigot when we were milking by hand. Always had a few cats sitting across the gutter waiting for us to shoot some milk in their mouth when mom wasn't looking. Worst thing used to be when we were too small to hold the pail between our legs and you set it down under the cow and she would lift her leg and step right in the pail. Usually took two of us grunting and groaning to get that damn cow to lift her leg out of the pail. . Second worst thing was getting a shitty tail across your face in the spring when the grass was green and the cows had loose bowels. I had a brain storm one time and tied two tails together to keep them out of my face. Problem was I forgot to untie them before we let the cows out of the barn and when they got out the door they each went a different direction. They really dug in and pulled and I couldn't get them untied. Problem solved itself though when one cow tore all the tail hair out of the other. Lucky mom never saw that fiasco.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never did like the warm milk fresh from the separated, on my wheaties everybody else loved it. Gotta love them one legged stools with a 1x6 board to sit on

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
still shake the jug and yes, we do miss the half gallon jugs too. Can't find 'em anywhere.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was raised with skim milk growing. I’m a whole milk guy now.

Same.

E689EF7A-E74E-4379-B621-343DC4BAB9AE.jpeg

nybs

Honored Member
Anybody else hate the ‘milk dust’ that comes from the twist cap on a jug...not a fan of that and don’t ever remember that happening with a carton.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if I have seen that, I’ll have to look closer next time. What I don’t miss is during my poor childhood of drinking powdered milk. Yuck

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

The perfect cranking speed on the cream separator was hard to get compliments on but we could crank the meat grinder as fast as we could and get nothing but compliments. Life was so confusing back then. lol

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of Milk in jugs. I hate milk in plastic jugs, it has a different taste. Up until recently you could still get half gallon cartons, but I’ve noticed the last few times I’ve went grocery shopping even the half gallons are all in plastic. Have they phased out the cartons completely?
My dad was bummed out when you couldn't get the cartons anymore. He saved and cleaned them out to freeze his fish fillets in.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
2400, you sure love your liquids! Milk, Coffee.....what's next?

I like jugs too....shake them any chance I get.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75