Jiffy 44 Pro 8 inch propane vs. K drill

Walleyeman16

So i am geing a new auger, and im up in the air between the two. I like the K drill, but it is slightly more expensive, with a new Dewalt drill, than the Jiffy. But i like the propane aspect of the Jiffy. I also like the light weight about the k drill. Plus, i run and gun a lot. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Bluegill

I have both augers you mentioned and I really like both of them. The kdrill is fast cutting and light weight which is really nice. For me I like the kdrill when the ice is 15” or less. The main downfall with using a kdrill is when it’s cold out you have to keep the lithium batteries warm or they won’t last very long I like the propane auger when the ice gets thicker and you can drive vehicles out. If you plan on drilling a lot of holes you don’t have to worry about batteries running dead which is nice. For me the only downfall to the propane auger is the weight of it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
talk to MSA on here i think he has a propane jiffy for sale a hell of a deal

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not a 2 stroke. Gas is 2bucks a gallon (actually) 1.92 at some places.

A. My jiffy is 30yrs old. I have never done anything to it plugs once in while. I run a synthetic oil slash gas treatment in it always use e free gas. (87 hot or 91 without e) I run it dry in April store inside a insulated garage. Starts at -30 doesn't smoke u can't smell it it smells less than my etec uextensions r cheap and some years u need one. The auger itself is cheap. Put the kdrill on that two stroke and I would think that would be the cats meow

- - - Updated - - -

In the last I don't how many years u hear the knock hey do u have any propane. I say no. Can I use your auger then. That is the typical pirate. And of course I say yes

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard more problems with jiffy propane than any other auger by far, there is also always a lot of "like new barely used" ones for sale on Bisman.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
SM 40v Lithium unless you are dead set on chipper blades. If so, the new Jiffy Lithium electric looks good. Unproven, but intriguing.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my K drill, but if I was going to run and gun a lot I would consider gas. I Use my K drill when the ice is say less than 15-18". After that the gas auger comes out. I will still use the K Drill on thick ice, but only once I know I probably won't be moving anymore. Last year, late season at Audubon, the ice was pushing 40". I could only get 4 holes on one battery.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love my K-drill, but I also loved my Eskimo HC-40 10" propane auger. Reality was when i had my propane auger we were in heavy snow years where i fished primarily smaller lakes that you couldn't drive on. Having that extra 40lbs off my sled is what made me switch to the K-drill. That Eskimo was a beast, i still wish i had it for ice over 20".

If you do go K-drill make sure you get a drill with a 5amp battery or your gonna be halfway thru your second hole in thick ice and not a happy since camper you couldn't finish that hole on your first battery.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
try 29lbs for a two stroke--- get rid of the propane 40lbs --- ugh

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought the pro 44. Haven't had a chance to take her on her 1st adventure yet. At 26 pounds, that's not to heavy! If 26 pounds is to much for you to carry around, u better hit the weight room. Hell, my 5 year old will probably carry it around for me, u pussies:;:::::::

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been very satisfied with my Jiffy propane going on several years. Weight is a negative and once when it was 19 below it didn't start (not sure why I was fishing anyway in those kind of temps???). If I already owned a brushless drill I'd likely go with the K drill. Otherwise propane as they are quick starting and easy to fuel-up.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the propane, if very cold out you will have to pull tank off to keep warm or it will not stay running. They are heavy compared to others. Cut like crazy though. Use my Ion 95% of the time. Need to keep those battery packs warm also

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the propane, if very cold out you will have to pull tank off to keep warm or it will not stay running. They are heavy compared to others. Cut like crazy though. Use my Ion 95% of the time. Need to keep those battery packs warm also

I saw somewhere where someone used a cooler, bubble wrap, and hand warmer packs to keep their batteries warm. How do others with portables keep them warm?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
That God damn skinzit is probly a better option for drilling ice holes than a jiffy propane.

In fact, I think everything jiffy has gone to complete shit. It's as if the company whored everything out to the lowest bidder with the cheapest materials. Everything plastic breaks, the fuel lines get brittle and crumble within the first year, regulators last one season, carb makes it two seasons, the only thing good is the drill and the blades. I need to find a good powerhead that will run mine so I can go all "office space" in a field on my jiffy pro.
268658FC00000578-0-image-m-87_1426051866218.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
talk to MSA on here i think he has a propane jiffy for sale a hell of a deal

I wouldn't sell that piece of shit to a surgeon that promised to use it to do historectomies on all the Kardashians.....cuz it doesn't work.

#jiffyaugerssuck

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone says how u can only get a hand full of holes with a k drill late ice. It completely depends on what battery you’re using. I have 20v 2 ah batteries, 6 ah batteries and flexvolt 9 ah batteries. With 30 inches of ice the difference there is like 8-20-40. People talk about drilling 100 plus holes a day but if you’re drilling 100+ holes in February one person one auger I question your intelligence.

I also have a SM lithium which I love as well. Definitely consider those and they run a k drill great as well.

Ive had nothing but trouble with jiffy. I’m also done with taking care of any more motors than I have to. One trip to the ice with a bum auger is one way to many.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76