Laying Carpet

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I’m gonna be getting new carpet in the near future and fully intended to have someone install it. I then started watching some YouTube videos and thought it actually looked pretty easy. Keep in mind I have never installed carpet or even helped someone do it. I guess I’m wondering if anyone here has taken on the task of installing their own carpet? And if they did was it a nightmare or not that bad, or an easy doityourself project? I guess what I’m looking for is a “hell yeah, it’s simple” or a “ hell no, don’t even think about it” kinda deal. Thanks men!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've participated in carpet laying a couple of times and it wasn't a one time event. Small mistakes magnify over time and fixing sucks. Carpet lasts 10-15 years typically so I'm more inclined to pay someone with the experience, tools, and confidence to make sure my investment isn't damaged upon installation and it stays where I want it to stay. We hired our flooring remod done and have enjoyed 3 years of flawless floors both hardwood and carpet. I'd write the check and go fishing. JMHO though.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i would think it depends on the type of carpet. have laid carpet without a pad and is glued down. Not a bad job depending on the size of he room and whether there are seams or not. Carpet that has a pad and needs to be stretched to the strips on the edges requires some special knee kickers (not sure of the real term). I personally would not tackle that type of carpet as I'm pretty sure my wife would find something wrong with how it came out.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Home Depot advertises free installation, if you purchase the carpet and pad from them.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago I worked for a carpet cleaner. We would have to tear out carpet that had pad when rooms would get flooded. We then had to dry the pads and the carpet and then re install. That type of carpet you would need to have a kicker and also a stretcher. You need to get the carpet pulled tight, or eventually it would have wrinkles and look like sh*t. If you can rent these tools from u-rent it would be possible to do. My self, I have hired people for the simple reason I would a pro installing and I want my investment to last.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes unless you have the proper tools like kicker, seam iron, seam cutter, carpet cutter and carpet tucker. If you have an older house with rooms that may be out of square then a carpet stretcher will be needed. One thing is always make sure to stretch your carpet pad as you staple behind you. The caret strips should be atleast a 1/4 inch away from existing base board and atleast 1/2 inch from wall with no base board. Laying carpet like any other job can be done much easier with the help of the right tools. After the flood of 97 I helped lay carpet in GF for cash on the weekends. Also make sure to lay carpet fibers standing up into the room you are installing which means the main doorway when you slide your hand along the carpet fibers the fibers will flatten down one way and stand up the other way.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been installing for over 20 years. Unless you have a power stretcher and the knowledge to use it you can make a mess rather quickly. A knee kicker only puts carpet in place and doesn't give you proper stretch. Seams are a whole different animal. Most YouTube videos leave out details on how to properly do seams. Home depots free installation isn't free. Take a sample from there to reputable flooring store and show you the blown out fibers your paying for. Carpet should be around $.70 a square ft. To install. Trust me the guys that install it get paid. If you have any questions I'm glad to help, but by the the you rent the tools I bet you'd have it I stalled for just a bit more. Just remember one wrong cut and you live with it or toss that piece i the trash and get another one.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To install yourself with out having done it before would be like painting your vintage car with rattle can paint.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pros can be in and out before your done with your first pot of coffee.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the imput. I’m hiring somebody! Lol

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Choice.
I did our breezeway at the farm and that was no pad and glue down. It was like 16' wide by 30-34- long. One piece and back then had a halfway decent body yet. Got it squared up and started on a straight wall and it wasn't bad. Glued that section down and went slowly doing the rest. Had 2 big closets to make cuts for and then a doorway. Did the cuts and fitted it then pulled it back and glued it down. It took most of the day for me back then. Wouldn't even attempt it now and gladly pay to have it done.
It was a son of a gun by myself moving that stiff as a board carpet but got it down.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are still hoping to save money, maybe you could find a YouTube video on how to do your own root canal.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id just get one of these and get rid of the carpet.

1200px-Gillette_Mach3_razor_from_Indonesia%2C_2015-08-03.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd rather have my nuts put in a vice than to lay carpet again lol

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I installed flooring for 7 years and I will say after 8 years of not doing I decided to take on a bedroom project of putting down some new carpet after my daughter was born. As for tips stretch the carpet going towards doorways, makes sure you know how to seam the carpet and every carpet seams different, How big is your area if it is under 12 foot no seam will be needed besides where it might tie into existing carpet. I will be honest if you never have done it before make sure you know someone who has. I have redone multiple floors for people that thought they knew what they were doing but found out the hard way they didn't. I would love to help you out but I no longer care to do this work anymore. Crawling around on your hands and knees all day isn't my cup of tea. I hate the fact that I get the idea that I want to even do it for myself once in a while. Best of luck if you need a person that knows what they are doing Give Hruby Flooring a call. I worked for Gary all those years and his some Tyler is one of the best in the Business. They are in Bismarck.
So I’m gonna be getting new carpet in the near future and fully intended to have someone install it. I then started watching some YouTube videos and thought it actually looked pretty easy. Keep in mind I have never installed carpet or even helped someone do it. I guess I’m wondering if anyone here has taken on the task of installing their own carpet? And if they did was it a nightmare or not that bad, or an easy doityourself project? I guess what I’m looking for is a “hell yeah, it’s simple” or a “ hell no, don’t even think about it” kinda deal. Thanks men!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76