Suggestions on buying new outboard motor

TonyC

I'm preparing to buy a new 25hp outboard motor. Manual start, short shaft for my little river boat - just looking to upgrade from my 9.9 Mercury.

I'll probably buy it from Cabela's, they are quoting $3,397 plus sales tax and a $100 license fee or paperwork fee I'm hoping to get out of.

That said, I am open to buying a yamaha or something else instead.

If I had more time to search I'd like to look and find a better deal used, but I've got 2 little kids and just want to get a super reliable (hence brand new) motor that will run well and last a long time.

Any suggestions on Mercury vs. Yamaha? Also, any thoughts on the price?

Thanks!
Tony

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yamaha -would get my vote --- when you see working boats -- they have a yammy on the back.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i bought a 25 hp yamaha ling shaft electric start last spring right around 4 grand, a friend of mine got a 25 suzuki long shaft elect start power trim for around 3500 off the internet shipped to his door.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki, and Honda in that hp are all bulletproof. Pick the specs you want and make your purchase based on lrice and possible service quality available locally.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're going to throw every brand out u might as well add Evinrude. No maintenance. Just as bullet proof as a Merc.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your looking to save some money and not compromise on quality at all buy a suzuki. Look online too. Many will ship to your door and some for free I'd imagine.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tohatsu makes a lot of the smaller Mercs. I picked up a new Tohatsu 20hp efi last year. Great little motor! I looked at Suzuki but after a bit of research Tohatsu was more what I was looking for.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm preparing to buy a new 25hp outboard motor. Manual start, short shaft for my little river boat - just looking to upgrade from my 9.9 Mercury.

I'll probably buy it from Cabela's, they are quoting $3,397 plus sales tax and a $100 license fee or paperwork fee I'm hoping to get out of.

That said, I am open to buying a yamaha or something else instead.

If I had more time to search I'd like to look and find a better deal used, but I've got 2 little kids and just want to get a super reliable (hence brand new) motor that will run well and last a long time.

Any suggestions on Mercury vs. Yamaha? Also, any thoughts on the price?

Thanks!
Tony

Having a manual start is great when your battery is dead but I would really consider getting both electric and pull start on a new motor. Resale will be much better and if you decide you want an electric start you won’t have to buy a new motor

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever EFI motor falls within your price range. If you're already using a 9.9, I'd happily go 15 or 20 if it meant I saved enough to have EFI. It would be impossible for me to care less which name is on the hood of an EFI 4-stroke.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 15 HP brand new Yamaha about 4 years ago. I looked and looked for used, but in the end I got new. THEY HOLD THEIR VALUE! It runs like a champ! Can't say the other brands won't. I paid about what your're paying and your getting a 25, what brand is that price?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Having a manual start is great when your battery is dead but I would really consider getting both electric and pull start on a new motor. Resale will be much better and if you decide you want an electric start you won’t have to buy a new motor

This is good advice.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing that p___ed me off was i didnt get a gas tank with my yamaha 25. when i bought it i got it still in the shipping box, there was a place in the stryofoam container for a gas tank but no tank. when i asked the dealer about it he said it didint come with a tank. I have never bought a small outboard with out a tank coming with it.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big is your boat and what's it rated for? 4-strokes are heavier and less powerful than 2-strokes so keep that in mind. My 30 horse 4-stroke is a bigger dog then an older 15 horse 2 stroke. Obviously they are quieter and more economical then a 2 stroke as well. I don't think brand means a whole lot now days as they are all pretty much the same.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing that p___ed me off was i didnt get a gas tank with my yamaha 25. when i bought it i got it still in the shipping box, there was a place in the stryofoam container for a gas tank but no tank. when i asked the dealer about it he said it didint come with a tank. I have never bought a small outboard with out a tank coming with it.

Your best bet is to find and old metal tank on ebay or bisman. These new tanks they have SUCK! I switched mine out right away. If you know of anyone with and old metal tank, make them an offer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76