Tie rods and ball joints

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with 156,000 miles on it. Just had the brakes and bearings replaced last summer by Ed's Wheel Alignment. Cost me a thousand dollars. Problem is, I hit a pothole the other day and now the front end is making a clunking noise ever time I turn the corner. Is there someplace in Bismarck I could take it that won't charge an arm and a leg? I'm sure it'll probably be another 500 easily.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your somewhat mechanically inclined you could do it yourself for around 200 with an alignment. YouTube is your friend for things like this. You would be surprised how easy it is to do.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a puller if you want to do it your self. If not capital auto has always been fair with me.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your somewhat mechanically inclined you could do it yourself for around 200 with an alignment. YouTube is your friend for things like this. You would be surprised how easy it is to do.

I was going to replace the brakes and rotors myself, but I thought a job like that should be done by a qualified mechanic in case something went wrong.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tom @ Ed's is one of the most honest folks you'll find.

Clunking noise turning a corner sounds like U-Joint/CV joint to me.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I took my dodge to dodge dealer in Rugby and told him my front left u joint is out (one knows right away when that sound comes on turning), would he fix that along with the updates they said i needed. Went back and service manager said they did not have a u joint but did charge me 27 dollars to diagonis that the u joint was out???????????????

Then he said my back license plate had a light out and that was 78 dollars for them to fix.

Said he would order the u joint and it would cost me 350 dollars so I said order. Before leaving Rugby went to auto store for 40 some dollars and bought a u joint and local mechanical charge 50 dollars to fix so gave him 60 plus 40 for 100 versus 350 at the rugby dodge dealer.

He then said my cat conveyor was shot and would order a new one and fix for about 12-1400. I told him order along with the u joint.
Before I took a rod to it I put a can of cat cleaner in it and light never came on again.

Rugby dodge dealer is as fair and trustworthy as they get. I do not know what I would do without their help and advice. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74