Do you remember you first smoke?

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I finally took the leap into the pellet grill era. I ended up buying a RecTec Stampede. My buddy said buy once cry once. Grabbed 2 porkbutts about 7lbs a piece. Rubbed them both down with mustard and covered with pitboss Smoked infused and Hickory Bacon seasonings. Let them sit in the fridge over night. Got home about 1030pm and mixed up 50%brown sugar and 50% Pitbosss seasonings I used before. Covered the top and sides with this mix and put them on the pellet smoker @225 with pitboss competition pellets. Smoked for 15 hours till they both proved like soft butter, wrapped in tinfoil separately and put in the cooler for 3 hours till we were ready to eat. The taste was really good. The bark coverage and flavor was very good and had zero complaints. This was my first smoke on my pellet grill but man having wifi and being at work getting updates on where the temp of the meat is simply amazing.
Pre smoke
20190914_221821.jpg
8 hours in
20190915_062105.jpg
Time to pull
1943.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
did a big ole pork shoulder in my pitboss last sunday for the queens game,my pitboss smoker/grill runs to hot for my smoking so I put a chunk of 2x4 to prop the grill door open a couple inches...low and slow temp stayed 135 all morning until I went to town for breakfast,came home to a grease fire 550 degress thought all was lost but damn did that roast turned out great nice black flavorful bark(rubbed in porky dry rub with added garlic powder and cummin) put a water tray off to the side to keep the meat moist as she smokes got lucky this time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a need for a new smoker, at what entry point does a person get one with a fricking thermostat so the temp is a "set it and forget it" operation. I really need to monitor my current propane setup to keep the heat where I want it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen most of the good pellet smokers are digital pitboss has an exclusive model with wallmart,smaller oven 24"s vs the bigger barrel version which is 30"s,down side with the pellet grill/smoker is keeping it outside uncovered pellets in the hopper will expand with moisture so either drain pellet hopper after each use or store inside...oh the smaller pitboss at wally world was selling for $295 last time I checked(electric version) otherwise I had great luck with the bradley 4 rack smoker that I gave away when my pitboss came along,also looked at geen mtn and trager(big bucks) and a couple others,landed on pitboss for the searing plate built in other grills did'nt offer searing (steaks n burgers) or had a side searing deal(propane only) which I didn't want to deal with....my .02

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was Zig-Zags and pigweed tassels. I was just a kid. It didn't go well so I ended up never smoking ... so maybe it did go well - and I never ended up smoking!

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen I am not gonna bullshit ya but pittboss is a very common smoker out there you can get cheap I cannot comment on the warranty or even the use. But I have bought a rectec and they aint cheap but it should last for a while. They do make a smaller version that is portable that a lot of people use and still can get a decent amount of food on. The one thing I can say with my rec tec is that I called them over Labor day weekend(Sunday) and they called me back on that Monday in the morning and that convinced me to order. Not to mention they had an issue with the alarms on the app this last Friday and they had it fixed Saturday night. They are simple to assemble and out mine together by myself in about 1.5 hours. These smokers are simply an oven. They have PID controller set it and it holds temp the whole time. Pretty impressive. But they don't give them away either. Buy once Cry once.

I have a need for a new smoker, at what entry point does a person get one with a fricking thermostat so the temp is a "set it and forget it" operation. I really need to monitor my current propane setup to keep the heat where I want it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
MES30 Electric cabinet smoker and either a pork butt or ribs I believe, brisket was soon to follow. Now I am just a gluten for punishment and play with real fire on my offset smoker or the cinder block pit. Someday I might get with the times and go pellet.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
340.png340a.jpg

This is your Huckleberry. 599 to your door. Its portable and folds down for storage. Rec Tec 340. Give the guys a call they are something else.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

planning on selling my Green Mountain Daniel Boone with wifi. Comes with a cover and thermal blanket.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, I think as I look at the sheer number of options out there, I need everyone to cook me a sample tenderloin before I make up my mind which way to go.

I'm in my busy half of the year now so it's not like I have the time for doing much good cooking anyway. So I appreciate the offer DM, but this will most likely be a late winter or spring purchase.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The site is not what i thought but my first smoke with about 10 in a 47 IHC 1.5 ton truck which is still on the farm and i did it with some dry up corn silk.
Was nothing special.
About 27000 miles and still has the orginal silver town tires. db

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The site is not what i thought but my first smoke with about 10 in a 47 IHC 1.5 ton truck which is still on the farm and i did it with some dry up corn silk.
Was nothing special.
About 27000 miles and still has the orginal silver town tires. db

I picture you as a white version of Morgan Freeman

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes... I believe it was marijuana in 1977-1978, in my cousin's car as he drove us from Stanley (wedding) to Plaza (Reception/Dance).

:;:muahaha

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
did a big ole pork shoulder in my pitboss last sunday for the queens game,my pitboss smoker/grill runs to hot for my smoking so I put a chunk of 2x4 to prop the grill door open a couple inches...low and slow temp stayed 135 all morning until I went to town for breakfast,came home to a grease fire 550 degress thought all was lost but damn did that roast turned out great nice black flavorful bark(rubbed in porky dry rub with added garlic powder and cummin) put a water tray off to the side to keep the meat moist as she smokes got lucky this time.

I have buddys with traegers and they both had fires ---- i dont remember what the scoop was but i thought they had em feeding to much -- one blamed it on winter i dont remember --- but i would be scared if it was close to my house. So snow would you buy another pit boss or not?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GMG owner here and it's been perfect for me in all seasons. Customer service/warranty work is easy too if you can be patient enough to stay on the phone for 10-20min. They'll overnight warranty parts every time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75