What is it

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do we have any plant experts here : I curious as to what kind of plant is this?
20190917_115210.jpg
20190917_115222.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh ok I always thought this was poison ivy growing up I know it made you inch bad if you touched it. So this is the stuff that lycan was going to grow next to his raspberry bushes to make a remedy to fix his gout.;:;rofl
When I first looked at it kind of looked like a hemp plant I seen at the ndsu ag research institute at langdon nd.
Anyways I sure am glad I didn't touch it

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh ok I always thought this was poison ivy growing up I know it made you inch bad if you touched it. So this is the stuff that lycan was going to grow next to his raspberry bushes to make a remedy to fix his gout.;:;rofl
When I first looked at it kind of looked like a hemp plant I seen at the ndsu ag research institute at langdon nd.
Anyways I sure am glad I didn't touch it

10-4

I see the resemblance too, to hemp. I think though, the placement and qty of leaves per bunch, is off.

I always thought hemp had 5 leaves per bunch.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poison Ivy are leaves of three. With stinging nettle if you look close there are little white spikes or hairs all over the stem. That's what gives you the burn with this plant. There are smaller hairs on the leaves as well. The good part is if you contact some you just need to wash the area off and it goes away. Not like the oil-based burn from poison ivy which hangs around.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go after stinging nettles with the full arsenal of Round-Up, 2-4D, and the big bertha torch. I frigging HATE that stuff.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a kid we called it burn weed. Round - up and big bertha cures what I come across now.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard of it called fire weed, cause feels like ur skins burning when coming into contact with it!

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must be crazy lucky. None of that stuff causes a reaction with me. One time when I was living in Minneapolis, I was playing disc golf with some friends (yeah, I know. This sounds like the start of a bad hipster joke) and I threw a disc into a patch of poison ivy. Interestingly enough I didn't know what poison ivy looked like, so I went hands and knees trying to find my disc. The people I was with freaked out a bit. Not a thing happened. I've even tried rubbing different stuff on a part of an arm or leg and nothing happens. Definitely not going to complain about it!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I am susceptible to poison ivy either! Have been in the woods a lot and have never had it...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a emergency shit situation, do not randomly use convenient vegetation. Some lessons are best not learned the hard way

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a emergency shit situation, do not randomly use convenient vegetation. Some lessons are best not learned the hard way
Strangely enough, nettles are suppose to be pretty good to eat after you've mashed off the stingers a bit. I'm glad I never learned the other lesson. Talk about monkey butt.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76