LOtW Sleeper ice houses

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me and some old college buddies are looking at booking a sleeper house on lake of the woods this December. Just googled and there are tons of options to choose from. Anyone have any experience with any of the resorts out there that offer sleepers? Looking for some recommendations, pros/cons, etc. Thanks ahead of time!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flag island,less people, more fish. fish up there don’t bite after dark so being stuck in a sleeper is pointless if you want it for fishing overnight. Day houses do the job except they may pull you before it gets dark. Didn’t matter when we were up there because we were basically already limited out.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have done sleepers out of Sportsmans and had good luck before. We caught very little after dark, but we wanted to be able to fish bright and early as well as until the sun went down. Saved us a couple of hours each day getting to and from the house where we were fishing.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The day houses shouldn't be too far out in December, so the travel time won't be that bad. Sleepers are nice for the early and late bite, but the fish typically shut down after dark. If you plan your meals well, it won't be much different than staying in a cabin.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can get out in December fishing should be good. It looks like the shiners are running pretty good from what I have saw on Facebook. Lake Road Lodge or Sportsman's Sleeper's would be good options going out of the river. I have heard good things about Fred's Beds out of Morris Point as well. IF the ice is good enough you will be able to drive yourselves out to your houses with Lake Road and Fred's. That way if you want to get out of the house for a little while and go to the bar you can.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
December early ice is excellent suggest you reconsider a sleeper house as stated above no to very little night action(maybe eel pout) due to the dark stained water on LOW besides booking a cabin will give you yahoos more room to party you can find more reasonable rates away from the big resorts like sportsman's resortnwe usually stay at wheelers point (ships wheel) they use adrians resorts road(road pass included) you won't need to travel out far in december so either drive or bring a couple wheelers. Fish on LOW ring the dinner bell the minute the sun breaks the treeline in the morning good all day fishing until sun sets.

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll check some of these places out. I'm on the fence about the sleeper, but a couple others in the group seem to be convinced it's what they want. I'll share the fact that the fish don't bite at night.

I'm hoping the ice is good enough to drive on by late December which is when we were planning to go. I was thinking I might actually bring some of my own gear and go exploring if fishing is slow in the shack, so being able to have my own vehicle out there would be important. Plus it allows us to travel to shore if we run low on critical supplies (beer).

Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks again!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have day fished out of Ballard's 4 times (its been a few years since my last time there) usually do the 3 nights stay 2 days fishing with meals and they did a good job. Have did 3 fall trips with Lake Road Lodge\Wheelers Point and they were very good also. Haven't been ice fishing with them......... yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76