Can anyone help a gal deer hunting?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, if your gonna lecture about putting in the time and effort to find a spot to hunt then quit reading here. Don't need that lecture.

I have a very nice young gal that I work with who really wants to go deer hunting. She has zero hunting experience and either does her dad who may go with but is older and probably can't get around well. She is very motivated and took her hunters safety this summer. She has a whitetail doe tag in 4D but doesn't know the area well. I would totally help her but my hunting area is in a completely different area and I have four kids that need a deer so I can't take her out. I will be taking her out to shoot her gun and help her with that. I'll also be giving her some basic equipment for her hunt like binoculars, ear protection, etc.

Could any of you guys help her out whether its giving her some areas to hunt in or even meeting up with her and helping her out if you're not a creep.

She really wants to get into hunting but its a big first step that she should have someone to help her.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrong side of the state for me to be much help. Good on you for doing what you canThumbs Up

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
*you're ;:;rofl
way to ruin the joke guy.jpg

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent some time out there however cant say I have seen any consistent whitetail areas besides private river bottoms.

While a middle age male might have 1% chance of gaining permission on some of that private land during rifle season I would put her odds very high if the landowner knew the backstory.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would look more to the East where the badlands meet the prairie (between the badlands and Hwy 85). There's pretty consistent whitetails there with less pressure from the mulie buck hunters. Plenty of private landowners that will grant permission for a whitetail doe as well as plots opportunities.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe have her get in touch w/game biologist from that area and see if there are landowners who want some does killed?

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Wrong side of the state for me, but have her sign up with game and fish for that program that places doe hunters with landowners. Might be a good start

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of surprised the usual "pics first" post didn't pop up yet!

I have no first hand knowledge of the area. A quick look on the map shows a massive area of plots along a creek. Probably a place to start. I have a good friend that grew up and hunts closer to Bowman. I'll check if he has any knowledge.

tulrich

I would tell her to stay out of the badlands area and hunt out closer to 85. After the first weekend she can hunt both units 4D and 4E for her doe. I hope it is a good experience for her, so she doesn't give up deer hunting after the first season. Good luck

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75