Buying pork fat in Minot?

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys. I've got about 35lbs of meat that I'm looking to grind tonight and I need about 7 Lbs of pork fat to help make it a bit less lean. Anyone know where a fellow can just buy pork fat in Minot?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marketplace on Broadway and 16th Ave. They call them pork trimmings. Ask for them at the meat counter.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^ Pork fat is no good for you. That's why you are much better off using pork TRIMMINGS. Just trying to help keep us all healthy.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pork trimmings vs. Pork butts??? And......GO!

With pork trimmings you get a higher ratio of wild game in the final product. Want 20% fat for sausage, use 20% pork fat. With the butt you have to use a lot more pork by weight to get the desired meat/fat ratio. Plus you can get trimmings for dang near free

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would add maybe an ounce or so of exotic meat (rattlesnake, alligator, etc.) to the entire batch

then you could set up a crappy German themed micro-brewery and sell "exotic" brats that taste like normal brats for $12 each

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree that trimmings are much cheaper than pork butts. At times I have had trouble grinding trimmings as there is a tendency to have more sinew and such that can clog the grinder. I have a 1.5hp grinder so power is not the problem. It's an individual choice but I do like the convenience of grinding butts. It is correct that you will have a smaller percentage of game with butts.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
With pork trimmings you get a higher ratio of wild game in the final product. Want 20% fat for sausage, use 20% pork fat. With the butt you have to use a lot more pork by weight to get the desired meat/fat ratio. Plus you can get trimmings for dang near free

This is true but I think the cost gets close to working itself out in the end. If you use butts, you pay more but you also get more pounds of the finished product. Comes down to personal preference as to what % you would like to be the wild game.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where have you found pork trimmings for free? I don't remember what I paid last year, but I know it was $100+ for less than 75lbs of trimmings from a small shop in Bismarck.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where have you found pork trimmings for free? I don't remember what I paid last year, but I know it was $100+ for less than 75lbs of trimmings from a small shop in Bismarck.

I leave most of my game meat in whole cuts, so I never need more than 10 to 20lbs of fat in a given year. I have a couple shops out here in Helena that sell me pork or beef fat (fat trimmed from steaks typically) for pennies on the dollar. Hoping to punch my bear tag this year and use that for sausage making

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up finding beef fat trimmed from steaks at Marketplace. It'll all hit the grinder tonight!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pork trimmings vs. Pork butts??? And......GO!

Well a guy should be able to find pork butts or shoulders for $1 a pound here soon. I’d go with trimmings if they are cheaper but if not I’d just get the whole pork.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a guy thinks ahead,aka before wild game sausage making season where price increases, order a box of frozen pork trim from your local butcher shop. Probably save some bucks. No pun intended.
On a slightly different note regarding keeping meat in freezer...don't let it sit there 9, 10,11, 12 months or longer!! You took the time and effort and money to get the dang animal, don't let it get freezer burn in the freezer!! Use it.
Idea: I like to take a look in my freezer each month to check the inventory and what we need to look at using up. My reminder is...when I change the furnace filter monthly, I take a peek in the freezer also.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ever consider adding beef fat???

I prefer beef fat for burger. Especially moose. I got 25lbs of fat for 290lbs of moose. We buy the grass fed organic stuff from a butcher and it’s trimmed and ready to grind. I live in one of the few places on earth where wild game is actually organic - so we try to keep it that way.

I stopped wasting time with “wild game sausage” and just make pork sausage. That’s essentially what it ends up being anyways so no point in wasting my wild game in.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought port trimmings ONCE. The amount of glands, ink (from those damn USDA LABELS), green staining (rancid fat), and stringy connective tissue was staggering. NEVER AGAIN!! I mean think about it. Trimmings are the stuff the meat guy doesn't want people to have to look at and decide if they want to spend the money. If he doesn't want it or try to sell it...why the F would I??? I buy pork butts for a bit over a $1 a pound and never look back. To each their own though. Buy and eat what you want.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought port trimmings ONCE. The amount of glands, ink (from those damn USDA LABELS), green staining (rancid fat), and stringy connective tissue was staggering. NEVER AGAIN!! I mean think about it. Trimmings are the stuff the meat guy doesn't want people to have to look at and decide if they want to spend the money. If he doesn't want it or try to sell it...why the F would I??? I buy pork butts for a bit over a $1 a pound and never look back. To each their own though. Buy and eat what you want.

Yep I only use full pork butts and they get trimmed some, trimmings is what I am trying to keep out of my sausage by making it myself.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75