Saw The First Rut Behavior Today

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a small forkhorn bird dog two does across a field like they were giving away cash on a first come first serve have to be in attendance every 5 seconds kind of way. He looked kind of desperate to be honest. He was almost wearing the closest does backside for a nose ring. Seems a bit early, but both the does were dancing around and he was running them in circles and the scene continued until they hit the shelter belt. Was fun to watch while it lasted.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a small forkhorn bird dog two does across a field like they were giving away cash on a first come first serve have to be in attendance every 5 seconds kind of way. He looked kind of desperate to be honest. He was almost wearing the closest does backside for a nose ring. Seems a bit early, but both the does were dancing around and he was running them in circles and the scene continued until they hit the shelter belt. Was fun to watch while it lasted.

Tell them to knock it off, none of that should happen until I’m back in November. Thanks.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a couple bucks on camera sparring heavily on multiple different days and have never seen activity like this this early, interesting to see. we have had so many cloudy days that I wonder if the clouds are fooling them into feeling like shorter periods of daylight then how it actually is and the cooler to cold temps for this time of year

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen a 4x mulie mount a doe 3 weeks ago it's a slow rut not full swing but I've seen lots of activities in the last few weeks after the first snow allot a little bucks getting a turn cause the biggens are still nocturnal but last week I seen a couple nice bucks that I have only seen at night show them selves in day light the weather will play a major roll when rut hits full swing

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t believe in fall weather controlling the timing of when fawns will be born next spring. That seems like something nature would weed out over time.

The moon and sun control it IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it's not happening now for some.

"Normal" means just that... a few start out early, a few stay late... and everywhere in between.

DC-2238V1.png

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t believe in fall weather controlling the timing of when fawns will be born next spring. That seems like something nature would weed out over time.

The moon and sun control it IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it's not happening now for some.

"Normal" means just that... a few start out early, a few stay late... and everywhere in between.

cache.php

Seems skewed...;:;rofl.

You can't prove a point by posting an generic illustration of a normally distributed histogram. I don't get it!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

You can't prove a point by posting an generic illustration of a normally distributed histogram. I don't get it!

Agreed. And that's the problem with statistics, it explains a wide probability of what can happen, but never proves it will actually be that way. Amazing how often polls and statistics are used by the news media as proof.

Had a college professor tell us in a Statistics class many years ago, enough years that I don't remember the exact quote but it went something like this "there are lies, and there are damn lies. Statistics can be used to prove both true." Statistics have a use, just not as a guarantee of what will happen.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. And that's the problem with statistics, it explains a wide probability of what can happen, but never proves it will actually be that way. Amazing how often polls and statistics are used by the news media as proof.

Had a college professor tell us in a Statistics class many years ago, enough years that I don't remember the exact quote but it went something like this "there are lies, and there are damn lies. Statistics can be used to prove both true." Statistics have a use, just not as a guarantee of what will happen.

The quote is:

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics".

The quote has been credited to everyone from Benjamin Franklin to Mark Twain.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

ha ha ha - agreed

Imagine the y-axis of the curve is labeled "Deer Doing the Nasty" and the x-axis is labeled "Elapsed Days - Oct 1 and Dec 31"

right smack in the middle of the x-axis is November 14

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure Allen loves how people like me wrestle with probability/statistics with respect to weather/flooding.

- - - Updated - - -

guywhosucksatmath.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pre-rut is like pre-last call. Neither really exists. Neither can be accurately defined. Neither has a specific criteria. However, BOTH have a profound affect on us throughout our lives. It's very reminiscent of "The Perfect Woman".

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sat tonight. Seen 9 bucks and a bunch of does. All the younger ones were still bunched up. Seen a couple probably 3.5 year olds that were working a scape line about a hour apart. All the does still have there fawn with them. When I see them starting to separate thats when I start to get excited.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just laugh when I hear about weather affecting rut activity, several anatomy classes and biology classes, and just plain old common sense tells me that is bullshit, farmers do your cattle come in to season due to the weather? Do women ovulate differently because of the weather? The fawns will drop in the spring about six months after the dirty deed is done, not a month early due to a cold snap.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just laugh when I hear about weather affecting rut activity, several anatomy classes and biology classes, and just plain old common sense tells me that is bullshit, farmers do your cattle come in to season due to the weather? Do women ovulate differently because of the weather? The fawns will drop in the spring about six months after the dirty deed is done, not a month early due to a cold snap.
Not always. I have a doe on camera that dropped twins about mid-August. They are still pretty tiny, doubt they survive this winter. NDGF says they've seen them drop into September.
You're right the weather doesn't have much to do with the actual rut. It's all about day light and the peak is always right around November 15th in ND. The colder weather helps get the deer out and about during daylight hours though.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
noticed the last few times out scrapes are showing up. i haven't seen any chasing yet still seeing bucks in bachlor groups yet.

Uncle Rico

I have a quite a few video cameras and I find it surprising how much sparring is going on already in September, even right after they shed their velvet frankly. Its interesting how much more context the video clips give than a still photo.

FWIW, as of yesterday I still had some nicer bucks hanging out together in food plots, etc. Seems like the overnight extended strolls are lagging a little behind other years so far. I have a number of cell cams that are spread across a pretty large tract and its usually pretty telling when I start getting the same deer putting on multiple miles overnight on different cameras. Pretty quiet overnight so far.

I expect this activity to increase greatly in the next few days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75