Tree Rats

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody eat squirrel? Shot one with my bow last night but I was using a Muzzy broadhead and it opened him up like a tin can. I know they make a broadhead for small game. My arrow must have deflected off the log he was sitting on cause I never found it. Even had a luminock on it.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ate squirrels quite a bit back in the day.
We used these for small game, shooting cans, and general shooting where there is grass or ground. They worked well for many of us.
Zwickey Judo Points

There are some cheap imitations out there now and don't know how well those work.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the hills svnmag would have a huge rodent feast

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shake and Bake. I normally roll in flour and fry in butter in cast iron, but when I am feeling lazy Shake and Bake was good. I don't know if they still make it. It's been ten years since I have had a good squirrel hunt. I use a 50 cal Hawken.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrel is excellent table fare. Plan for the fleas and you will have a much better experience. Squirrels are LOADED with fleas so if you don't want to spread them to your pets have a plastic bag and a can of raid handy. Upon bagging a squirrel, put into a plastic bag and douse with a fair spritz of raid and tie closed. When you are done with the hunt, rinse the critters in cool, clean water for a minute or two, skin, and enjoy. Fried, baked, stewed, or sauteed, they are a good eatin' critter. Enjoy!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard the silver/gray squirrels are better than the red ones, and the premo squirrel is the Foxtail. I have not yet tried them.

I do have about 2 dozen of the red bastages in storage at my place. I would just need to go shoot them.

Last edited:

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I tried a big fox squirrel last fall. Basic flour and s&p and fried it up. Not my cup o tea. Pretty gamey.

im sure there’s great ways to cook it but I’m just in a phase where I don’t like long recipes and making meat that just serves as a sauce carrying device. Salt/pepper and on the grill. Maybe a slice of butter on there. Also, I listened to a MeatEater podcast and squirrel can carry some gross stuff I don’t want in my body so that might be skewing my thinking at the moment

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to take a blow gun along with me for squirrels when I went bow hunting. It was a lot of fun and a huge challenge. I think ive only "stuck" 3 or 4 in my life. There is one tree by my stand that probably has 20 darts sticking in it. Nothin better that having one of those little "red devils" blowing your cover and then suddenly get pinned to a tree

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have a lot of Aberts squirrels where I am. I use a scoped 22 rifle or one of my 22 handguns and head shoot them.

One of my favorite ways to cook them is to take 2 Aberts squirrels and 1 cottontail skin and gut them, put them in a crockpot with water, salt and pepper and let them cook for awhile. Then I skim the bones out and put potatoes, onions and other stuff in and let it simmer all day.

WOW, it is outfuckingstanding!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cleaned out the herd of gray's n reds in my yard the last few weeks,got tired of em munchin all the bird seed couple grays were huge,had to go 3lbs made a solid "thud" when they hit the ground and agreed with KDM dead grays were alive with fleas,nasty,

.22cal long rifle "quiet loads" does the trick.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ate squirrels quite a bit back in the day.
We used these for small game, shooting cans, and general shooting where there is grass or ground. They worked well for many of us.
Zwickey Judo Points

There are some cheap imitations out there now and don't know how well those work.

I have something similar. I think I'll take a couple cheap arrows with next time with those on them in case I see another squirrel or rodent.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
or "flu flu arrows with "blunts"arrow heads work great on pheasants when they hold tight.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrel is excellent table fare. Plan for the fleas and you will have a much better experience. Squirrels are LOADED with fleas so if you don't want to spread them to your pets have a plastic bag and a can of raid handy. Upon bagging a squirrel, put into a plastic bag and douse with a fair spritz of raid and tie closed. When you are done with the hunt, rinse the critters in cool, clean water for a minute or two, skin, and enjoy. Fried, baked, stewed, or sauteed, they are a good eatin' critter. Enjoy!!

If you like eating a little raid with your rats... This technique is 'known by the state of Kalifornia to cause cancer'!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
killed many a gopher and yard bird with those judo tips when i was a kid. yard squirrels were off limits though for some reason.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad cooked a couple up when I was kid. I remember them tasting like grouse. Game taste pretty strong, which I like, but a lot of people don't. In HS we cooked one up on a campfire with a stick, and pretty sure we were tuned up. I don't recommend doing that!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76