Question for those with painted skulls.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have some folks that want to paint the skulls of their trophies, but we don't know if the chemicals we use to whiten the skulls will jack up the paint over time. Any of you members of the peanut gallery have any insights into this?? Thanks in Advance!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what my buddy uses.

Go to a beauty supply and get some basic white and 40 hydrogen peroxide.
Mix it together to make a paste and apply to the skull being careful not to get it on the antlers.
Let it sit for 12 hours and wash it off. Works great.

He and others i have talked to say "never" use paint. At least if you want to keep it white.

If wanting to do with color, i have no idea.

Last edited:

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I would think if you are painting the skull or dipping the skull you wouldn't need to whiten it. I have never dipped one though.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for the info, but I don't think I was clear enough with my question. Sorry. We aren't painting the skulls. The customer is doing that. We just don't know if the whitening process will cause the subsequent painting to flake or peel off after a while. Has anyone with a painted skull had the paint come off over time is I guess what I should have asked.

Headhunter

KDM, i wouldnt think the whitening process would hinder the paint sticking to skull, providing a person is only using peroxide based whitening???

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
do they want to do murals etc. or paint entire thing? just curious

They are dipping buffalo skulls green and yellow to make NDSU Bison decorations. The first one looks great, but we are just concerned about what it will look like in 2 years. I guess we will know in 2 years. LOL!!!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No ideal but i have had skulls put in 70% peroxide and after a bit of time the brown stain comes back out on spots on the skull for a couple. Just put the peroxide back on to get white and maybe should of sat in the peroxide longer.
I would think it would depend on the quality of paint and if the skull is hung in sunlight or kept out of sunlight. Green and yellow should not fade like red would. Did you put a sealer on after the paint of some kind? db

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We didn't add any paint or sealer to the skulls after whitening. The customer was doing the painting. We were just wondering if the peroxide/degreasing materials would affect paint/sealer adhesion over time. I'm going to have to assume, based on the lack of folks chiming in, that our methods won't have negative impacts on paints. Thanks again for the inputs and suggestions guys!! I appreciate it!!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the chance to look at some painted Eland skulls a guy did that were a kind of dark brown and looked like he sealed them. He did them himself but I didn't think about asking what kind of paint or dip he did. When I talk to him next I will ask and let you know

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76