Tip ups

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to buy a few tip ups for the grand kids and taking them fishing over Christmas, Are there any that are more user friendly than others or are they all pretty much the same ? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beaver Dam Arctic Fisherman are the cats meow. Expensive- but will last forever.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the HT Polar Thermals, they stack very nicely in a 5 gallon bucket and holes don't freeze as fast as one of the ski style tip ups. Only thing I don't like about them is the retractable pole breaks/bends easily.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, I will try the nylon coated tip up line. The original plan was to pre cut the parts and have them build their own but there just isn't enough time unless it's too cold to go fishing. My dad made this type in 1964 and I still have a couple of them but the wood has warped over the years so they don't "tip up" so good any more. The flag ones look like they work a lot better.

tip up.jpg

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember: friends don't let friends spool their tip-ups with fireline.. The memories of that line slicing through my fingers out on Morrison back in the day makes me cringe.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest concern with tipups is the ease at which it unspools. Fish bites-flag goes up-line goes out with no resistance. Ive had bad ones and great ones from just about any brand I've tried and even the cheap ones can be great in that regard. I really dislike coated line as its basically using line with the worst memory ever imagined. Does depend on your use though, for pike those things aren't such a big deal. Walleyes and saugers in 20"+ then it's certainly a concern.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My biggest concern with tipups is the ease at which it unspools. Fish bites-flag goes up-line goes out with no resistance. Ive had bad ones and great ones from just about any brand I've tried and even the cheap ones can be great in that regard. I really dislike coated line as its basically using line with the worst memory ever imagined. Does depend on your use though, for pike those things aren't such a big deal. Walleyes and saugers in 20"+ then it's certainly a concern.
Use a heavier weight above your swivel to straighten everything out and then have a 2-3' flouro leader below that with a small split shot about 6" above hook. I regularly use the coated line in 30'+ with current and do fine.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Her...BAxgn5Mj9izq8ndLnAeMJSLXSkw3erUhoCMMgQAvD_BwE
These are the best will not unravel like the others that have a horizontal spool super sensitive and will last a lifetime. Can be found on Ebay used at half the price

- - - Updated - - -

These of course don't have the little spinning bar to tell you if you have a fish on, but those types of tip ups will get water that will freeze up inside the tube where the shaft spins which can cause excessive resistance that some fish my feel when they are pulling out line. Easy fix is to apply white lithium grease inside the tube

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the frabill artic fire.very good tipup for the money,not beaverdamn but about 1/3 the price.I have tried about every configuration of tip up,this is my prefered style.I use 40# braided nylon to a swivel and from there a mono leader or if norts just to steel leader,3/4"marker bobber up top and a 1/2 oz rubber core just above the swivel on the bottom.The last couple years I added the blue tipz strike sensors to them.They send an alarm to your phone via bluetooth,work great and no more hopping up and down in the fish house to see if your flags up!!About 35$ a sensor,but I always put a couple out,kinda a buy once,cry once thing!!Best time to buy tipups is ice out,walmart and target practicully give them away then.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember: friends don't let friends spool their tip-ups with fireline.. The memories of that line going thru my fingers on Morrison back in the day makes me cringe.
Unless it is 80# or more. I only have had an issue with cuts on big fish but I set the hook hard

- - - Updated - - -

I like the low resistance so the finicky walleyes don’t detect it and drop the bait

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t go wrong with frabill pro thermals spooled with suffix tip up line. I seldom get tangles and don’t have to worry about annoying line memory you get with nylon coated.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Finicky Foolers...pretty slick.

Those look neat if the thermal hole cover works well. I'd like to use rods outside more often but lets be real, a good chunk of our winters the holes and line freezes in seconds not minutes and it's a pain in the ass so tip ups are necessary outside the shelter. Plus the hot boxes and whatever else they are selling now are just a bit much to deal with when a underwater tip-up will do imho. I might just give them a shot.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those look neat if the thermal hole cover works well. I'd like to use rods outside more often but lets be real, a good chunk of our winters the holes and line freezes in seconds not minutes and it's a pain in the ass so tip ups are necessary outside the shelter. Plus the hot boxes and whatever else they are selling now are just a bit much to deal with when a underwater tip-up will do imho. I might just give them a shot.

I haven't had to use my hole cover this year yet...been so warm. But my buddy used his last year regularly...hole cover worked great for him...we'll see.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't had to use my hole cover this year yet...been so warm. But my buddy used his last year regularly...hole cover worked great for him...we'll see.

Just got 2 of them delivered today, man they are slick! Now If I can only get a chance to get out. Whole new level of cabin fever burning here.
84A6B229-F0B4-4CFF-ADE8-EAFAED825C36.gif

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ ha ha Brian...gotta make time man! All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75