Fort Peck

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all I'm looking for any info on fort Peck ice fishing I've only found a couple guides for the whole lake and they are booked lol I've never ice fished there but have been out in the boat a few times any one fish over there or have any info on ice conditions I never really got an honest answer from the guides I talked to so any info would be helpful planning on going next week maybe to crooked Creek I heard the best ice reports from there.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 extra day and a set of binoculars and your golden. Lol
Had kind of been on my bucket list for someday.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why I was thinking crooked Creek it's up river from the big lake one of the bait store employees told me there was 15-18 inches and they were driving 1ton trucks on the ice not sure if that's 100% accurate but it's the best report I got plus I got a couple other good fishing reports from that area.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana has very different regs so unless the rules changed recently, expect EVERY, and I do mean EVERY walleye point, hump, edge, and other structure to be FULL of tipups that get checked once a day by 4 wheeler or sled. Some of these guys are pretty territorial and many will have probably been drinking so don't be surprised if you have confrontations with some of them if you are set up closer to "Their Spot" than they think you should be. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I thought you should be prepared. The good fishing you probably already know about. Good Luck!!!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went out there a couple years in a row... probably 10 years ago. It is fun, and a little scary. Ice conditions are sketchy. The ice seems to move alot more than Sakakawea. There were a few people (not in our group) that went through while trying to cross pressure ridges. Also, methane pockets are an issue too.

We fished out of Hell Creek Marina. We rented a cabin and based out of there. It was a lot of fun, just be smart. Also, what KDM said is correct. There will be a ton of tipups off most points. It is a little discouraging, but we still found places to fish. On our first trip, we caught a 14 lb, 11.5 lb, and 8 lb walleye and a few lake trout and smaller walleyes.

Also, if you spear take that gear along. The water was crystal clear and you can spear game fish too. We tried it our second year out, but didn't have any luck spearing. I did swing and miss on a lake trout though. Good luck and let us know how you do!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see anything in the laws about fishing distance from set lines or anything of that nature so I guess it could get interesting if a couple drunks think I'm to close to tippup but I'm not scared I'll fish where ever I want and the law allows I guess if the flags up there's fish in the area is all that tells me lol

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go looking for a showdown you’ll probably find it. The difference in regs is amazing though. Make sure you wait and pick up bait in MT. The bait rules dont apply, suckers, shiners, whatever works is all good. The closest minnow seller to me will get you at least 4 different species in each scoop. I fish 90% of the time in ND so that’s a pain in the ass.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana has very different regs so unless the rules changed recently, expect EVERY, and I do mean EVERY walleye point, hump, edge, and other structure to be FULL of tipups that get checked once a day by 4 wheeler or sled. Some of these guys are pretty territorial and many will have probably been drinking so don't be surprised if you have confrontations with some of them if you are set up closer to "Their Spot" than they think you should be. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I thought you should be prepared. The good fishing you probably already know about. Good Luck!!!

Exactly!
And why does it seem all the dudes on wheelers are cowboys way over 6ft and mad.
I've been told more than once that "we are fishing 15 miles on each side of this point" .. and they arent joking.
Crooked is a LONG washboarded road. So bad that guys put duct tape on all of their trailer lights so they dont rattle out! But the fishing can be amazing!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We fished the north end last year. We were running on 5-12" of ice the whole time. Only saw one area that had set lines on it. The rest of the good structure we wanted to try was empty. If I go back I will be sitting over a big spearhole a lot. Can spear anything that comes in, plus be fun to sight fish in that clear water.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74