Locking fish house

Baydoe

I was just re reading through the ice fishing proclamation where it stated.
" When in use, fish houses must be open for inspection at all times and hooks on doors are illegal"

Does that mean i'm not allowed to lock my house? even if i'm spending the night in my wheel house and going to sleep, going the the bathroom, or a blue moon shows up and the wife gets frisky. I can't lock my doors? that seems crazy to me.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, we are lucky they even allow us to close the door... Mn requires all doors to either be left open or have an 8x10 clear window!

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not worry about that at ALL. And if that blue moon does happen to show up, I am sure the warden would give you the minute you need to finish. :) :;:cheers

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would not worry about that at ALL. And if that blue moon does happen to show up, I am sure the warden would give you the minute you need to finish. :)
That's when the rattle wheels all go off ONCE IN A BLUE MOON.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I guess i lock mine when i go to sleep. I have never left mine unattended for more than a few drink at the local establishment and i lock it then too.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all my years of ice fishing I’ve never had a warden just come barging in my house. They’ve always knocked and asked to enter. One time the warden payed a visit during peak pooping hour. When he knocked I explained the situation and he was kind enough to wait until I came out. He laughed a bit when we had to drink coffee outside for a few minutes with the door open to get some fresh air

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just re reading through the ice fishing proclamation where it stated.
" When in use, fish houses must be open for inspection at all times and hooks on doors are illegal"

Does that mean i'm not allowed to lock my house? even if i'm spending the night in my wheel house and going to sleep, going the the bathroom, or a blue moon shows up and the wife gets frisky. I can't lock my doors? that seems crazy to me.

Welcome to the Bizzaro world of game and fish laws. Lot of em like it on the books. I actually almost got a ticket for it. I have an old 4 by 8 collapsible I built. There's two doors one on each end, with a little plexi-glass window. You have to open the window from the outside to reach in and unlatch it. So you can open it from the outside, you just have to think a little. Game warden didn't like it, but the fact was you could open it from the outside.

So just hope no warden walks up to your shack if you have it locked, for any reason.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all my years of ice fishing I’ve never had a warden just come barging in my house. They’ve always knocked and asked to enter. One time the warden payed a visit during peak pooping hour. When he knocked I explained the situation and he was kind enough to wait until I came out. He laughed a bit when we had to drink coffee outside for a few minutes with the door open to get some fresh air

a likely story

You do know that cocaine kills fish, right?

Murderer.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one barge right into my popup once. Really nice guy, but he almost got shot.. I guess according to my standards, saying "game warden, coming in" is enough to not get shot. I was a bit taken back by the whole deal...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
In MN they blaze up super fast, jump out and look in the window. They are mostly after extra line guys as MN only allows 2 per person.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I saw 2 ND wardens come racing across the lake on sleds. When they pulled up, they hardly let the sleds come to a complete stop before running up to a couple portables. They said, “game and fish” and opened up the zippers to the portables immediately. They were younger guys on a power trip if you ask me. The way they went about things, they should have had their heads blown off on the spot. That’s no way to enforce the law if you ask me. We were fishing outside so we had nothing to hide. The new generation has no class if you ask me. They’re out to make a name for themselves in hopes of becoming famous.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Last year I saw 2 ND wardens come racing across the lake on sleds. When they pulled up, they hardly let the sleds come to a complete stop before running up to a couple portables. They said, “game and fish” and opened up the zippers to the portables immediately. They were younger guys on a power trip if you ask me. The way they went about things, they should have had their heads blown off on the spot. That’s no way to enforce the law if you ask me. We were fishing outside so we had nothing to hide. The new generation has no class if you ask me. They’re out to make a name for themselves in hopes of becoming famous.

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back but we were fishing outside in the open. One of them didn't even see my rod and almost knocked it down the hole. His quad must have been doing 10-15 mph when he jumped off. I think the guys that barge right in might be looking off a hot tip or something. Most all of the ones i have dealt with have been pretty nice.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey, we are lucky they even allow us to close the door... Mn requires all doors to either be left open or have an 8x10 clear window!

Mn law reads, they have to be invited in. They can look in a window, but cannot enter the house with out someone opening the door or saying come in. A number of yrs ago a lawyer and son were in there fishhouse smoking weed and a Game Warden walked in on them. They took it to court stating unlawful entry and won. The DNR then changed the law. Knock, identify and wait to be let in.

- - - Updated - - -

I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience with a Warden. All have been very professional and pleasant to talk to.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda tough to sneak up on a guy ice fishing isn’t it, Electronics and heaters are silent now days. I can here people walking from 1000yds away. I think it would kind of be funny for one of these hot shots to come blazing up on me in a supposed sneak attack. I’d be sitting there smiling with a beer in my hand when they opened the door.

yellowlab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Whether you agree with how the check was conducted or not, this has to be one of the most idiotic statements I have read on this site.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually assume any time I get checked the warden has been watching me for a bit anyway. Never really had a bad experience, I've actually felt a little sorry for a guy who really went through a lot of unnecessary work to sneak up on me in a hard to reach area. Anyway, with all the new guys and the garbage left and the few guys that feel like "I'm not from here who cares" I think any effort to make sure guys are treating the area correctly is good.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whether you agree with how the check was conducted or not, this has to be one of the most idiotic statements I have read on this site.

Clearly you’re not on here enough then.

- - - Updated - - -

You can have a badge and still do your job in a respectful way.

- - - Updated - - -

I would classify my local warden as a classy, stand up guy.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda tough to sneak up on a guy ice fishing isn’t it, Electronics and heaters are silent now days. I can here people walking from 1000yds away. I think it would kind of be funny for one of these hot shots to come blazing up on me in a supposed sneak attack. I’d be sitting there smiling with my wiener in my hand when they opened the door.

Fixed it for you! ;:;rofl :;:muahaha

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, there have been examples of meth cookers setting up a lab in fish houses. Warden or other law shows up, all you have to do is not let them in as you contaminate the lake with all kinds of nasty ass chems. I've not yet had a bad warden encounter while out icefishing, and I've been doing it for about 40 yrs.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your doing nothing illegal you shouldn’t have to worry about getting checked by a warden.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75