Humminbird Helix - Question

mills423

Bought a Humming Helix 7 last month. Have used it probably a dozen times or so. Saturday I noticed that my signal would hesitate or freeze for just a second like it was trying to find bottom and then it would run as normal again for a couple of minutes. Happened pretty continuously throughout the day. First time it's happened. Wondering if there is something in my settings that I need to adjust. Going to take to Scheels where I bought it and ask someone there but thought I would see if anyone has a "quick fix".

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
seems to be a common occurrence for me as well depending on the depth I'm fishing so Id be curious what you find out. Maybe try adjusting the "lower range" setting to the depth your fishing and see if that helps vs ."auto"ranging - as the transducer swims around it will auto adjust and it get annoying. check and make sure you have the current software v.2.18 also before you go out on the ice with it.

Also, you'll find out with these units that sometimes you'll need to restore factory defaults, not often but if something doesnt seem right, its ok to do a system restore and that will help.

mills423

That's a good point. Was mostly happening in 11 to 18 ft of water. Probably run to scheels tomorrow and talk to someone there.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
soft bottom? known issues with these newer units,even the garmin live scope,vex and marcum none issue.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ran a few different Humminbird units over the years (788ci, Helix 7 G2, and a pair of Onix's) and they all have had some issues with displaying the auto depth in shallower water. Usually I would get a double depth reading (show 20' when in 10'). If you looked at the standard 2D sonar view, you would see two bottoms. I know Humminbird has addressed this problem (or at least have attempted) to in recent updates. Since applying the updates, it does seem that I have have experienced less double depth readings.

Snapper

I found this on a humminbird site.
[h=1]I seem to be having display problems. What do you recommend?[/h]
Display problems can sometimes be confused with power problems. To determine if it is a display problem, the first thing to check for is to see if your keypad backlights are showing. If they are not showing then likely the issue is power related, not an actual problem with your display. Please check out troubleshooting tips for power related issues. Has Power but No Display Consult the Common Checks guide on the following link and make sure that all categories are fully verified. Additional items to check.

• Adjust Angle Tilt and pivot the depth sounder so that you may easily maintain a good angle for viewing.
  • Adjust Contrast - If contrast adjustment is an option on your depth sounder, refer to your Operations Manual for instruction.
  • Check the Connectors & Pins - Check the power connector, depth sounder connectors, fuse, fuse holder and battery terminal connections for corrosion. If corrosion is present, clean it off by using an abrasive (sandpaper, battery terminal cleaner, etc.) or with a mixture of baking soda and water. Also, make sure that all connections are not loose. Corrosion may cause a loss of voltage to the depth sounder.
Display Freezes or Stops Moving Consult the Common Checks guide on the following link . Always make sure that your unit has the most recent version of software. Software can be found under the My Humminbird section of our site.
Contact the Customer Resource Center if you are still having problems after trying the preceding suggestions, return your depth sounder along with the power cable, transducer(s) and any accessories (switches, temp, speed, etc.) and a letter with a detailed description of your problems to:
Condensation - Although your Humminbird unit is waterproof, the air within the unit contains moisture due to natural humidity. Due to this, some fogging is normal on cooler days. The Spring and the Fall are the most typical times of year that we hear about this. This situation is caused by heat generated from the sun warming the air in the depth sounder. The moist air is then trapped between the display and the lense in the front housing. This situation can be avoided or reduced by storing in a protected and safe area at outside temperatures. The situation should clear after about one hour of use. If not, the unit can be sent in for service. However please understand that we cannot stop a unit from having condensation under the above conditions.
If you have a glass bonded color display (in our 800 Series and higher products) condensation cannot form as there is no void between the display and the lens.

Hope this helps out.
Don

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84