pay to park ice fishing?

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I was curious what everyone's opinion is on using a state park to access the ice on sakakawea? Would you pay to park your vehicle on shore? thanks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was curious what everyone's opinion is on using a state park to access the ice on sakakawea? Would you pay to park your vehicle on shore? thanks

You have to have a pass to go in a state park in Sd so assuming Nd is the same i guess you either pay or get ticketed

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When have you ever been to a state park in December or January and they made you pay to get in?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
When have you ever been to a state park in December or January and they made you pay to get in?

The sign at the entrance Sakakawea State Park says that payment is required year round. Nobody "makes" me pay but I figure my integrity is worth more than the $7 entrance fee.

Pay for a yearly park pass and enjoy our state parks all year long for $35

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm not understanding but doesn't every state park on Sak have a boat ramp for access? Also as far as parking on shore isn't that a COE issue and not state jurisdiction? At any rate tell them you are protesting while you are fishing and they should just let you stay.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sign at the entrance Sakakawea State Park says that payment is required year round. Nobody "makes" me pay but I figure my integrity is worth more than the $7 entrance fee.

Pay for a yearly park pass and enjoy our state parks all year long for $35
I have a problem with this. I don’t believe the state should charge me for using a public boat ramp.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a problem with this. I don’t believe the state should charge me for using a public boat ramp.

when the public boat ramp falls apart and the shiters are full who pays to clean them?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the public boat ramp falls apart and the shiters are full who pays to clean them?
The same agency that pays for the up keep of the other 5 public ramps I use all year round without paying. The state and the Corp.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member

Spends hundreds in fuel for the summer but too cheap to support to spend $35 for an annual pass.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before the state took over the ramps, the CORPS started charging to use the ramps back in the 90s. I always thought that it was a bullshit move since the ramps were bought and paid for by taxpayers 25 years prior. They had been charging for a couple years and still no upgrades. One ramp had holes in the concrete so bad that there were broken trailer lights all over the ramp. We used them for free for 25 years and then start charging when they're crap.

When the state took over at least they fixed them.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spends hundreds in fuel for the summer but too cheap to support to spend $35 for an annual pass.
Being cheap has nothing to do with. I get an park pass every year because I spend 10 days at fort Stevenson for the cup. Other wise I don’t use state park ramps because I don’t have to. If you want to pay use a public ramp go ahead. I’ll continue to use the ones in my area that I don’t have to pay to use.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm not understanding but doesn't every state park on Sak have a boat ramp for access? Also as far as parking on shore isn't that a COE issue and not state jurisdiction? At any rate tell them you are protesting while you are fishing and they should just let you stay.

The fee is an "entrance fee". As in, you need to pay to pass the front gate. Regardless if you are there to camp, day use, or ice fish.

As far as it being a "public boat ramp", ehh...no. It's a ND State Parks facility. Which again means you need to pay to use the State Park amenities.

Note, I used to work for ND State Parks back when I was in college. The wench that managed that park was of the opinion you had to pay even if you were simply coming in to use the bathroom. I had to carry that message forward a couple of times.

- - - Updated - - -

Before the state took over the ramps, the CORPS started charging to use the ramps back in the 90s. I always thought that it was a bullshit move since the ramps were bought and paid for by taxpayers 25 years prior. They had been charging for a couple years and still no upgrades. One ramp had holes in the concrete so bad that there were broken trailer lights all over the ramp. We used them for free for 25 years and then start charging when they're crap.

When the state took over at least they fixed them.

I can remember when the New Town Marina had a ramp fee, and then a donation box. But I'm pretty sure that is something run by the county, not the Corps.

You leave ND and boat ramp fees are pretty damn common.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, I used to work for ND State Parks back when I was in college. The wench that managed that park was of the opinion you had to pay even if you were simply coming in to use the bathroom. I had to carry that message forward a couple of times.

Similar to Van Damme State Park and Campground near Mendocino in northern California. The beach which had free parking was across Hwy 1 and Van Damme State Park. We would come up for a weekend and stay in the campground. It was a great beach for abalone diving and that was what they were there for. We would pull our inflatables from the campground and launch them over the beach to dive for abs.

Lots of divers would just dress at their campsites and walk to the beach and dive for abs. Sooo some guys that only came up for day dives would bring their clothes and after diving would walk across the hwy, as tho they had campsites and go into the campground to shower. Big deal, the park still got their quarters for the shower water.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The same agency that pays for the up keep of the other 5 public ramps I use all year round without paying. The state and the Corp.

the Corp does 0 for boat Ramos here on Oahe in sd and I guess don’t use the ramps at the state park as they are not public they are pay to access

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t use the ones the tribe has either they don’t write tickets they toe and impound your whole rig if you don’t have sticker in your window

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The two state parks that I’ve been to in my area have 2 boat ramps each. If I’m going to camp at one of them I’ve no problem with the entrance fee because I’m using the park faculties. But if I’m going day fishing or drive off the ramp in the winter ice fishing, I shouldn’t have to pay because I’m using a federally and state funded (mine and your tax dollars) road and ramp to get access to the lake. The parks never built those ramps they were built by the Corp with tax dollars.
How can you be ok with a park basically charging a fee to use the boat ramp for a day but bitch and moan about not getting access to some public lands? It’s the same thing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The two state parks that I’ve been to in my area have 2 boat ramps each. If I’m going to camp at one of them I’ve no problem with the entrance fee because I’m using the park faculties. But if I’m going day fishing or drive off the ramp in the winter ice fishing, I shouldn’t have to pay because I’m using a federally and state funded (mine and your tax dollars) road and ramp to get access to the lake. The parks never built those ramps they were built by the Corp with tax dollars.
How can you be ok with a park basically charging a fee to use the boat ramp for a day but bitch and moan about not getting access to some public lands? It’s the same thing.

Building it is a small thing the maintaining it over the years cost money. The roads are paid for and maintained through the parks. This is in SD. I know for a fact as we bid the jobs to chip seal and pave them and what not. How can you be ok with buying a fishing license to catch fish that are owned by the public how can you be ok to get a deer tag for deer that is owned by the public. How can you be ok with paying a wheel tax to maintain roads that were built with tax dollars. Well not only do you pay an entrance fee while camping you pay a fee for a camping spot on top of that. How much money is put into maintaining a public land trail head vs a boat ramp?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76