Walleye bite

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the reason why the walleyes bite all day long on some lakes and only early morning and late evening on others?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Water clarity/salinity levels, food sources, and depth of water have all seemed to play factors in this phenomenon for me.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Water clarity is probably the biggest factor. Give me a stained, cloudy lake any day over a gin clear lake. Second is probably forage base. If they are well fed they tend to have small bite windows. If they have over done the carrying capacity of the forage, the lake will get “hot” for a while.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why do people put salt on French frys or popcorn. It just tastes better.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious what you think salinity has to do with it

I guess I just feel that can have an effect on the types of organisms and food sources that can exist in that body of water which can affect water clarity. I could be way off base

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind as well as it effects clarity when it creates a mudline, there is a reason mudlines hold fish, walleyes can see in that stuff, bait can't. Walleyes use the mud for cover and pop out and ambush the food.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I just feel that can have an effect on the types of organisms and food sources that can exist in that body of water which can affect water clarity. I could be way off base
Have you ever checked the salinity of different bodies of water? You have me thinking about that now lol. In reality I’d be really surprised if there is any significant difference unless it’s an alkaline based lake. Interesting

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever checked the salinity of different bodies of water? You have me thinking about that now lol. In reality I’d be really surprised if there is any significant difference unless it’s an alkaline based lake. Interesting

I really haven’t done any studies on it. Just one of the random thoughts that rattle around in the ol noggin that made sense to me....ha

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I can't think of any major body of water in this state that is not alkaline by definition.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over my 30 year career I’ve found walleyes are just like a woman you will never figure them out but it does help to know they are no different than any other species on earth they have to eat to survive!!! That said think of your self as a walleye we tend to eat whenever and wherever food is available, that being snacks , breakfast, lunch and dinner maybe even a midnight snack , for those of us a little over weight if it’s available we eat ! Competition for food is involved,? then we get what we can when we can !!!!
Want to catch a lot of fish ? Then fish a lot!!!! Because you never know when one will be hungry.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yea that’s probably true. I’ve never really though about this type of thing

If you have soft water in your house that would be the only place but I bet you can still find minute traces of it over the whole plan it

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67