Montana trip

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Montana is a no trespass state? I'm interested in old North Dakota and Montana history and plan to hit the road this spring to look for and photograph old military forts and ruins and I'm sure many of the old ruins are on private land now and I don't want to trespass. I've been using Google Maps to search for old fort ruins and surprisingly I've been able to spot a couple but they are way off any good roads or trails and would take a long hike or ATV over some rough country to get to. Some of the old diaries and traders journals describe where the forts and trading posts were but many were built on the banks of rivers and over the years they have been washed into the river so there is little or nothing left to see. That's what happened to Fort Mandan where Lewis and Clark spent their first winter. Is there any way to find names and addresses of land owners in Montana? Also, what are the laws about metal detecting and picking up artifacts on Federal and state land in Montana? I know you can't pick up stuff on COE and State land in ND but does Montana have the same rules?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Montana is a no trespass state. You must have have landowner permission to legally access private land.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering if anyone puts out something like our PLOTS book but for Montana where it would show if the land is federal, state or private.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
OnX Montana membership, has surface ownership on it. Along with public land and trails.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
OnX maps . It’s awesome . Shows clearly the public and private and shows Block management, which is like nd’s plots

sheds

Founding Member
Founding Member
Basemaps app would be good to its $30 for the whole US which would give u more options as well. It also gives landowner names and address.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you been to White Stone battle field? Its west of Monango N.D.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted Montana last year for the first time, OnX was a lifesaver. Lots of public land / block management

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you been to White Stone battle field? Its west of Monango N.D.

I have driven past it a couple of times but never stopped. Is it worth seeing?

- - - Updated - - -

I hunted Montana last year for the first time, OnX was a lifesaver. Lots of public land / block management

What is this OnX? Do you need a smartphone or computer to use it? If it's on a phone how is the coverage out in Montana?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have driven past it a couple of times but never stopped. Is it worth seeing?

- - - Updated - - -

What is this OnX? Do you need a smartphone or computer to use it? If it's on a phone how is the coverage out in Montana?

It is a application you can run on either a smart phone or computer. Sometimes they let you run a 60 day free trial but it is worth the cost after. $30/state per year or $100/year for the entire US. If you know you are going to be out of cell coverage or are not sure you can download a map of the area beforehand. If you are not sure how to use it I can walk you through.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75