Corned Beef

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
seen walmart had a whole bin of "corned beef"... never had it, package says in a pan with an 1" of water and seasoning pack, then into the oven, covered at 350°F for 40 minutes, then 10 minutes, uncovered at 375°F.

Any reason to change things up?

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've always just thrown it in the crockpot with cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Comes out exellent!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a cruel thing to do to a beautiful beef brisket. Poor little fellers deserve a proper smoking

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
seen walmart had a whole bin of "corned beef"... never had it, package says in a pan with an 1" of water and seasoning pack, then into the oven, covered at 350°F for 40 minutes, then 10 minutes, uncovered at 375°F.

Any reason to change things up?

If you have an instant pot(pressure cooker) they make an amazing corned beef. FYI

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a cruel thing to do to a beautiful beef brisket. Poor little fellers deserve a proper smoking

maybe the next one, seems cheaper than buying a straight up brisket. is the abundance of this pre-prepared stuff at Walmart tied to easter, don't recall seeing it before, but right now any bin with something in it catches your eye.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have an instant pot(pressure cooker) they make an amazing corned beef. FYI

insta pot is on my radar but not right now

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's popular around St. Patrick's Day. I'm guessing demand was a little low this year.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Corned beef is awesome! You've never had a reuben sandwich? That's the meat in a reuben.

I would do it in a crockpot for the most tender corned beef. Eat it with potatoes and carrots and cabbage for a traditional New England boiled dinner and make reubens the next day!!!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
only add the potatoes and cabbage after the meat has already cooked some or you'll wind up with mushy taters

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't eat taters or cabbage anymore but thanks for all the tips.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
They carry a brand called Primadella , the corned beef is amazing , great just by itself cold or in a sandwich with a little horseradish on it .

The Pastrami is really good in that brand also

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cook up a corned beef in the crockpot then put it in the fridge overnight, while it is cold I cut it into 1/2 inch cubes and make my own corned beef hash, with a couple of over easy eggs on top yummy.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put one in my own brine solution last week. Cooked it up Tuesday. Tasted just the way I remember. Reuben sandwich tomorrow (sans thousand island dressing, horseradish and mustard)

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love me a rueben sandwich, I'm rather fussy about it as well. I need good ingredients from the corned beef to the rye bread. Hard to find a really good rye bread around here. Pumperknickel will do as well beings we're in a coronapocalyspe. I judge many restuarants on the quality of their rueben, while they are usually pretty good I always feel I can make a better one at home.

bilbo

Honored Member
Apparently, Pumpernickel means 'devil's fart' or something like that in German.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76