Ndtrax

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a email from NDTRAX that TRAX it will no longer be supported for Garmin GPS. They suggest ONX maps as a replacement. Do any of you use ONX and if so does it have the lake contours like TRAX did. Also what are your opinions of ONX, is it worth the money??

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worth the money, can't speak for the lake contours. But the topo maps, surface ownership and tools in the app all on a phone is really handy.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am no expert with OnX, but when I open it I don't see an option for lake contours. I believe there are several options though. One to check out would be the G&F website; I believe you can download lake maps amongst other things to load onto a Garmin (never done it myself though). https://gf.nd.gov/maps/gps

You could also download the G&F 'Explorer' app https://gf.nd.gov/maps/mobile-apps onto your phone and get most of that data but probably wouldn't be viewable on your Garmin. There are some apps like Navionics that allow you to do that too.

Is the TRAX guy basically out of business then? I bought a chip from him back in like 2013 for my Lowrance handheld GPS and it was awesome (still use it), but I think he quit making products for Lowrances that year or the year after.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
here is the info from the email I got. not sure if they are out of business but they will no longer support a Garmin GPS
[h=3]KOREY KIRSCHENMANN[/h]
3:09 PM (35 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to KOREY
cleardot.gif

Sorry for sending what appears to be a duplicate email. However, the phone number for onXmaps and their support hours have been modified. 406-540-1600 on M-F from 9AM-4PM MST

As of December 31, 2019, Kirsch’s Outdoor Products discontinued producing the TRAX series of Garmin GPS maps. In addition, there are no plans at this time to release any additional updates for any TRAX maps. The TRAX version 19 (2019) is the final update available. The version number is listed inside the front cover of your memory card case (bottom of disclaimer on left side).
Here are your options:
TRAX Update: If you have a TRAX version prior to 2019 and wish to update your maps to the 2019 version, follow these instructions.

• Place the map back in the plastic memory card holder
  • Place the product in a bubble mailer
  • Include a check made out to Kirsch’s Outdoor Products for $20 ($21.50 for ND residents) for a single state or $40 ($43 for ND residents) for TRAXWest or TRAXNW
  • Include your return address in the package
  • Mail the product to: Kirsch’s Outdoor Products, 7915 Aquarius Drive, Fargo, ND 58104 (In approximately 10 business days, the product will be back in your mailbox.)
onXMap:The closest option to a TRAX map is an onX map. We have worked out special pricing for existing TRAX customers. If you wish to continue using GPS hunting maps, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] option listed below will be the best option. These options are scheduled to expire on 1/1/2021.

• [*]Membership Option: TRAX customers can purchase an onX Premium (1-state) or Elite (50-state) membership for 20% off the first year by using the linkhttps://www.onxmaps.com/pricing?fpr=traxmaps and then using the promo code 'TRAX20' at checkout . This promotion ends on 1/1/2021.
  • Membership Option + GPS Chip: Contact customer service at 406-540-1600 on M-F from 9AM-4PM MST and mention you are a previous TRAX customer to receive special pricing. There will not be a TRAXWest or Regional option, but individual state chips can still be purchased along with the Membership Option at reduced pricing. This promotion ends on 1/1/2021.

TRAX Maps do not have an expiration date, so you are welcome to use the maps for as long as you deem them helpful. Please keep in mind public and private land ownership information, hunting boundaries, and other information on the TRAX maps are always changing, so please be careful with the usage of your hunting map. It has been a pleasure and honor to help make your outdoor adventures a reality for the past 13 years. God Bless You!

Korey Kirschenmann
Kirsch's Outdoor Products
701-261-9017
kirschtrax@hotmail.com

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as i know onx does not have contours. basemap might could check that out .

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything that was on the NDTRAX is available from the GNF website. Just go on there and download it and put it on your chip.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy how things change. NDtrax and MTtrax was the shit ten years ago. Now with onX on your phone it's a thing of the past.

I never used NDtrax for contours though I guess. Lakesmaster and Dr sonar chips

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do find it odd that my 7 year old TRAX chip usually shows phone numbers for land owners (in the counties that were available at that time) but OnX does not. Or do I need to adjust a setting with OnX?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just really like having my GPS separate from my phone. Solid actual buttons that work with gloves and what not.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a NDTrax SD card in the man cave, if I recall, I never did figure out how to use it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's to bad ndtrax is shutting down. he had a very good idea and delivered a great product with very good customer service.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69