Electronics....Opinions wanted.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you had your choice, and money was no obstacle, how would you outfit your boat? Consider trolling motor too.

For me, having a trolling motor follow a contour would be my most important feature.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
36v MinnKota Ulterra with iPilot Link
Humminbird 12" Solix at console for navigation/GPS (connected to Ulterra)
Garmin Panoptix (one at bow and one at console) for sonar.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get a steering/speed control system like the TR-1 for the kicker and connect it to a Garmin depthfinder

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you explain what this is?

I have only fished on one boat that had it, but it seems to be like an ipilot link for a kicker motor.
Has a remote to set speed and steer.

Not sure if it can follow contours, but it can follow headings or between waypoints.

I was impressed with it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
36v MinnKota Ulterra with iPilot Link
Humminbird 12" Solix at console for navigation/GPS (connected to Ulterra)
Garmin Panoptix (one at bow and one at console) for sonar.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

My buddy is upgrading his electronics, and this is what he is thinking too. Told him to make sure you can have troller follow a contour. He'll need a bird for that. Does it matter which one he puts on the bow? I'd think you would want the bird up front. I'm not sure he'll put 2 on the counsel.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
And when you can't get those fish to bite with your new $7000 addition, slip over to the old guy in a 14 ft boat with an old eagle depth finder, and ask him what he is using to catch fish, cause you can't trigger them to bite. :;:huh He will then show you a plain leadhead jig tipped with a minnow. ;:;rofl

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm asking for my buddy, I've fished out of a 1960 12 ft fiberglass for 6 years saving enough for a 2003 Ranger. My buddy on the other hand, well he owns his own co. And wants to upgrade. Trust me, I know what it's like to be out there out fishing the fancy boats.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

My buddy is upgrading his electronics, and this is what he is thinking too. Told him to make sure you can have troller follow a contour. He'll need a bird for that. Does it matter which one he puts on the bow? I'd think you would want the bird up front. I'm not sure he'll put 2 on the counsel.

The Humminbird unit could go anywhere in the boat as long as it's networked to the MinnKota trolling motor through ethernet. I would put it wherever is the most convenient. The remote that comes with the iPilot units allows you to do quite a bit but not select a specific depth contour to follow. Here a few items to keep in mind.
- If you run 2 or more Humminbird units and want the iPilot hooked to them you would need the ethernet switch (which allows up to 5 devices). If you are only going to run one Humminbird you won't need the switch as it could be directly wired to the iPilot.
- An ethernet cable (believe it's 25') is included with iPilot trolling motors. This is the cable the connects to the iPilot trolling motor. It can't be hooked directly to a Helix unit and requires an ethernet adapter. Solix/Onix's don't require an ethernet adapter as they have the proper connection built in.
- In order to use the follow the contour feature with the Lakemaster map you need an iPilot Link compatible card. If its a new card it will have this feature. Cards will say "iPilot" on them. If it's an older card it may not be compatible. Can still use it but won't allow for follow contour.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, He plans on upgrading his Minkota so it can link. But he'll need a bird to follow contour, which IMO is the best and most important feature. And Garmin panoptix seems to best and newest technology out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point if $$$ were unlimited, I'd want some kind of wi-fi installed. That way I can keep up with NDA in the slow moments.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75