Little known gotcha's in life

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading the Nordic Track post, I thought I'd share something that may be a bit more of a risk with this whole social distancing and limited services thing.

Last week Tuesday I went to my bank to make a deposit. In general I always have liked going into the bank to make deposits, etc. Well, given the current pandemic, nobody is allowed inside of banks for simple stuff any more. The lines at the driveup teller were pretty long, so I thought "no problem, I'll just use the ATM", because while not my preferred method, I have done it in the past without problems. During the deposit the ATM malfunctioned and cancelled the deposit. And then it really malfunctioned and was unable to return the two checks I was trying to deposit in the first place.

Well shit, so I went to the driveup teller window and gave them the slip of paper the ATM handed me. Nope, they are not able to help me with an ATM malfunction, you must call the number on the receipt given. So I call the number on the receipt and then get the effing run around that they have up to
45 days to resolve the issue. The damn issue is that I have two checks stuck in an ATM at your facility and it's going to take up to 45 days?!? I know the bank employee that had to go unjam the ATM in order for others to use it actually has/had my checks in his hand because he even called me to let me know that, and yes he can verify that the deposits were not made.

I am now on day 8 after the ATM malfunction and I've heard nothing from the bank.

That's right people, no hints of deceit, fraud, or any other kinds of malfeasance on my behalf and the bank can/will hold your money up to 45 days. I suppose after that is where you can then raise a fuss.

What have you all learned lately that made you go "WTF"?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Constitution does not apply to the government during a pandemic. I find that kinda surprising and interesting

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, two words...“Mobile deposit”. All these brick and mortar banks are going to go the way of the dinosaur, so you might as well get used to it. Hell I haven’t stepped foot into a bank since I refinanced my house 8 years ago.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, two words...“Mobile deposit”. All these brick and mortar banks are going to go the way of the dinosaur, so you might as well get used to it. Hell I haven’t stepped foot into a bank since I refinanced my house 8 years ago.

Amen, except for the stepping foot into a bank thing.

I like/d bringing the kiddos there because they always had fresh cookies. Had my son work on his addition for adding money to his savings account, and then we'd split a cookie.

Plus the tellers were always friendly.

I dig mobile deposit for most things. But I do miss those little trips.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hate the idea of having banking or credit card information on my phone. I use my bank's online banking quite a bit, but I haven't seen a way to make a deposit from the online stuff, even though I know you can with their app.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pup loves the drive-up window because she always gets a biscuit, she will start whining 2 blocks from the bank and that turns into full on barking at the window.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still like to go into my bank occasionally to see what new young tellers they've hired. Never use my bank card except at an ATM for cash. Never use it like a credit card and most of my deposits are automatic deposits. Those checks that are for different jobs, etc. I just cash. Prefer not to have paper trail when it's not necessary.

45 days seems terribly excessive to me and would make an appointment with a higher up in the bank. I do know that my bank is closed to normal foot-traffic but is open by appointment. i can do most of my business at the drive-up but should I need a loan, etc. I could go in to do that business. I'm guessing that banks are doing a lot of business with the federal small business loans, farmers and others who need help during this time.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe go to vendor who issued your checks, and have them cancel and reissue?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife is a banker, i love going to the bank, but now they have me locked out. Not sure if this virus isn't just a way for Mrs johnr to see less of me, and hand out less cookies..haha

Huntdux

I do it all the time with USAA, tkes about 15 seconds and it shows up in your acct as soon as the transaction is done. But it is a mobil app.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still like to go into my bank occasionally to see what new young tellers they've hired. Never use my bank card except at an ATM for cash. Never use it like a credit card and most of my deposits are automatic deposits. Those checks that are for different jobs, etc. I just cash. Prefer not to have paper trail when it's not necessary.

45 days seems terribly excessive to me and would make an appointment with a higher up in the bank. I do know that my bank is closed to normal foot-traffic but is open by appointment. i can do most of my business at the drive-up but should I need a loan, etc. I could go in to do that business. I'm guessing that banks are doing a lot of business with the federal small business loans, farmers and others who need help during this time.

We're seeing the delay this year with the land renter not being able to get into the bank to get his operating money for the year. He rents from about 4 or 5 of us and none of us has our land rent check in hand yet and he is past the due date; but like I say, can't get into the bank.

- - - Updated - - -

45 days is rediculious. I've changed banks for less than that. In the end of the process they want to know why you changed banks. Dumb asses.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate the idea of having banking or credit card information on my phone. I use my bank's online banking quite a bit, but I haven't seen a way to make a deposit from the online stuff, even though I know you can with their app.

Never knew you could make a deposit on an ATM, always thought they were just for taking cash out...learn something new some days. What do you hate more, this situation or having banking information on your phone? Mobile deposit is awesome, just started using it about a year ago...very slick. Can't imagine there's any more risk to it than signing into your account online like you describe.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We're seeing the delay this year with the land renter not being able to get into the bank to get his operating money for the year. He rents from about 4 or 5 of us and none of us has our land rent check in hand yet and he is past the due date; but like I say, can't get into the bank.

- - - Updated - - -

45 days is rediculious. I've changed banks for less than that. In the end of the process they want to know why you changed banks. Dumb asses.

Waiting on some cash rent myself. Guess I'm willing to be patient with everything else that is going on. In most cases, getting behind in cash rent is not a good idea but can imagine most businesses are getting a little behind in funding. In my case I don't owe any payments so a month or two isn't going to affect me for now.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen:
Must of been one of those there corp bank and not a home town, locally own with owners in town that once in a way one has a drink with at the one horse saloon bar in town. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the bank doesn't fix that way sooner than 45 days, I'd find myself a different bank.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never knew you could make a deposit on an ATM, always thought they were just for taking cash out...learn something new some days. What do you hate more, this situation or having banking information on your phone? Mobile deposit is awesome, just started using it about a year ago...very slick. Can't imagine there's any more risk to it than signing into your account online like you describe.

I guess I just have less confidence in phone security than I do my PC.

- - - Updated - - -

If the bank doesn't fix that way sooner than 45 days, I'd find myself a different bank.

It pisses me off, I've been with the same financial institution for 28 years. So yeah, I'd be leaning that way a lot more if I wasn't so, soooo, deep into what they've done over the years. All the stuff I autopay, plus all the billpay, and of course, all my kids' accts as well.

It's been an educational experience, that's for sure.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Waiting on some cash rent myself. Guess I'm willing to be patient with everything else that is going on. In most cases, getting behind in cash rent is not a good idea but can imagine most businesses are getting a little behind in funding. In my case I don't owe any payments so a month or two isn't going to affect me for now.

It is not the cash rent we are so much worried about either. We are more interested in IF he is going to rent or in all reality, if the bank will let him rent. Delay that too long and you need to find someone else to rent. Not my idea of fun.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen, call the head honcho at your bank. He can straighten that problem out in a snap. And he should. If it was the banks money they sure as hell wouldn't wait 45 days. People run into these arbitrary regulations all the time. It's like when Candid Camera put up the sign years ago "New Jersey Is Closed" and cars stopped right there on the road.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75