Verado trim ?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
A month ago I bought a new to me 2012 1850 reata with a 175 Verado on the back. Took it out for a little test run Friday and it wouldn’t let me trim up as much as I’m used to. Wouldn’t let me trim up even close to enough to get the prop to wash out. Is that some sort of safety feature on the Verados or do I have something wrong with the trim limit switch possibly or need the ecu trim limit programmed?

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think all the Mercury engines have a trim limit once above a certain RPM, somewhere around 2,000 or 2,500 rpm; and it limits how far you can trim up. If you were able to trim to the trim stop, and not blow out your prop, it sounds like you engine might be mounted to low.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I read that there was a trim limiter once you go over 2,000 rpm just was wondering if there was anything I could do other than raise the motor. I can only go up one more hole but I’m going to give that a try before anything else.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might want to have a dealer check where the trim limit is set via the computer. I’ve been told they can adjust it to a certain maximum value as allowed by the computer. It’s a dealer only thing. If they find it’s already programmed to the max setting, then your back to playing with engine height and props.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I read that there was a trim limiter once you go over 2,000 rpm just was wondering if there was anything I could do other than raise the motor. I can only go up one more hole but I’m going to give that a try before anything else.

Are you sure the trim limiter is operating as intended?

If you can't trim up enough to blow out the prop, I think I'd look at something other than motor height as the start.

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have smartcraft gauge you can change and calibrate it in the settings.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have smartcraft gauge you can change and calibrate it in the settings.

now that I read the smartcraft manual I see this. I’ll give it a go tonight. Sounds like a good place to start.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't help you with your issue but I have a 2012 Reata 1850 RS with a 150 verado. Just curious what you get for top speed? I'm at about 41-42 loaded with a couple guys. Once I hit 45 with just me and almost no fuel. Hole shot is decent though. Tempest 19P

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't help you with your issue but I have a 2012 Reata 1850 RS with a 150 verado. Just curious what you get for top speed? I'm at about 41-42 loaded with a couple guys. Once I hit 45 with just me and almost no fuel. Hole shot is decent though. Tempest 19P

It will be a few weeks before I can let you know on that one when I can get it out more. Didn’t have much room on Friday to get it opened up. It came with a 21p rev 4 on it. I tried a 19p enertia 3 blade on it on friday. I’ve done a lot of forum reading and a lot of guys are seeing 50+ with the same setup as mine so that’s what I’m hoping for when I get some time on the water and get to tinkering with it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
now that I read the smartcraft manual I see this. I’ll give it a go tonight. Sounds like a good place to start.

That Spanish dude Manual knows a lotta shit.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will be a few weeks before I can let you know on that one when I can get it out more. Didn’t have much room on Friday to get it opened up. It came with a 21p rev 4 on it. I tried a 19p enertia 3 blade on it on friday. I’ve done a lot of forum reading and a lot of guys are seeing 50+ with the same setup as mine so that’s what I’m hoping for when I get some time on the water and get to tinkering with it.

As far as the boat goes I really like it. Wish it had more storage but it's a family boat so knew there was going to be a compromise with some things like that. Handles big water much better than the 1850 tyee I had. Most of my fishing is on LOW.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my smartcraft trim readings were all goofed up when I looked into it tonight. They weren’t calibrated at all. Got the smartcraft trim levels calibrated and hoping that solves my problem.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75