Slow your ass down and pay attention!

Founding Member
Founding Member
This happened on the Missouri river this week.
The boat that was hit at high speed had three in it, one being a 5 year old child. Thank God no one was injured, hell three innocent people could have been easily killed.
There is absolutely no excuse for this, slow down and pay attention!

Yes thats where the prop tore into it!

20200415_223416.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any back-story you can share?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was the incident head to head or did the unpictured boat come up from behind the boat in the pic?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m sure it was an evil tournament fisherman being inconsiderate as usual

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes people just need their ass kicked. This looks like one of those instances.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Son of a bitch!

- - - Updated - - -

And people wonder why I often drift with the big motor idling.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cripes, it would be interesting to know the full story there. Where did it happen, was it foggy out, was one boat overtaking a boat and hit him, was the hit boat just sitting there, did the hit boat take off without looking and got hit...

I would agree that some people are going to fast, but overall i haven't seen too much negligent behavior. In the days of GPS though to many guys are just staring at that rather than whats in front of them. Also, in the fog some guys seem to think because they know where they are on GPS that they can still haul ass, apparently not smart enough to realize they wont see other boats in time to maneuver.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, more to the story please! Did the other boat stop and show their tails between the legs? I cannot believe the operator couldn't see another boat in front of him. Was he alone?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is based on the prop gouges the other boat was going way faster and "jumped" them from behind.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, in the fog some guys seem to think because they know where they are on GPS that they can still haul ass,

Spring 2012, we put in in a light fog @ Hazelton, headed downstream towards Ft. Rice. Not very far downstream the fog became so thick that both GPS units lost signal (external antenna). The visibility was as poor as I can ever recall, short, I mean short distance. We could hear other fisher-people, but couldn't see any other boats nor either shoreline. It got so thick, I couldn't tell what direction I was drifting. Obviously "downstream", but, I couldn't tell where "downstream" was. No magnetic compass in the boat. We drifted almost all the way to the Ft. Rice landing and came out of the fog almost like a wall.

It was spooky, because you'd hear boats get up on plane leaving Hazelton and you'd just have to pray that when they got to the zero visibility fog that they'd slow down. No accidents that day, but, it could easily happen, and very quickly.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I nearly had that happen on Devils Lake and the worst part was two people in their early 20's were sitting in the front of the other boat watching me anchored. It's like there was nothing between their ears. Deaf too because they couldn't hear my horn. I didn't have time to pull anchor I just fired up and hit reverse. It wasn't as dangerous because they were not even on plane, but that should have given them time to pay more attention not less.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t know the whole story and accidents do happen, but boats running 50-60+ on the river of all places are becoming more common. This may be an unpopular opinion amongst the sparklers but these boats need to slow the eff down when running narrow river channels. I’m sorry but you don’t need to go 60 mph in the river when there maybe a boat or kayak or whatever sitting idle just around the corner of every damn sandbar/island on the river. It’s stupid, unnecessary and worse extremely dangerous for other people recreating on the river. This incident could have been VERY bad. The fish will still be there if you slow down a bit and pay attention.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 10 years ago I was going down river full throttle-ish (25-30 mph) and hit a stump, made me take an immediate probably 60 degree hard left as it jerked the tiller handle. I did not lose control of the handle and luckily there was no one nearby. I always think of that time when guys run full throttle 50 feet away from boats that are sitting fishing. Certainly things get tight on the river and there's no way around that but best to be as careful as possible.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
chances are that both operators are on this site it would be nice to hear from both sides

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74