Youth Scope

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 8yr old is showing good gun control (muzzle, trigger, and knowing whats behind/infront of the target). With his ability to listen and respecting the gun, I am likely to set him up with a mentored hunt this fall.

I picked up a tikka .243 youth last fall and now I need to top it off with a scope. Wondering if anyone has found a good scope out there with good eye relief for a kid. With the 17 HMR, he wanted to place his forehead right on the scope.

20200411_160826.jpg

20200411_182920.jpg

Attachments

20200411_182917.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed 6x Leupold is about as forgiving as a scope can be in regards to "getting behind the scope" to get a full view, as well a a vey "long" eye box where one can be reasonably close to the ocular lens, or backed off a good ways and still get a full field of view.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a look at the fixed options available from SWFA. Quality scopes that won't break the bank.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a Vortex Diamondback 3.5x10 x 50 on my kids' 243 and while they have really liked it, I wish I would have put it on one of my rifles. Dandy scope!

- - - Updated - - -

note, that 243 has been used by my 10 (now 12 yr old daughter) and 14 yr old son in the taking of all their deer over the past few years.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a Vortex Diamondback 3.5x10 x 50 on my kids' 243 and while they have really liked it, I wish I would have put it on one of my rifles. Dandy scope!

- - - Updated - - -

note, that 243 has been used by my 10 (now 12 yr old daughter) and 14 yr old son in the taking of all their deer over the past few years.

Where did you find such soft deer? Usually the 243 just bounces right off. ;:;rofl

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go with a variable like a 3 x 9 and as he get use to shooting he can turn up the power. Just leave on low power for ease of Target acquisition.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of range are you going to limit him to?

This entirely depends on what he shows me this summer with shooting. He was hitting reliability at 130 yards with the 17HMR. So probably limit him to 150 for this year. The 17 as a 2-7 with poor(shitty) eye relief.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed 6x Leupold is about as forgiving as a scope can be in regards to "getting behind the scope" to get a full view, as well a a vey "long" eye box where one can be reasonably close to the ocular lens, or backed off a good ways and still get a full field of view.

Yup. At the rip young age of 63 I bought my first 243. A Winchester feather weight and put a Leupold 6x with the reticle thst has the two small dots below the crosshairs. Can't remember the name and not sure if they even offer it any more. The last thing us old guys and a young kid needs is one of them scopes with a half a dozen dials and 10 or so lines in your scope.
;:;rofl

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a look at the fixed options available from SWFA. Quality scopes that won't break the bank.

I can't speak to their fixed scope, but I finally mounted my 3-15 and got a few rounds through it last week. Worse eye relief/ eye box/parallax whatever it's called I've ever experienced, at least for side to side view.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What kind of range are you going to limit him to?

This entirely depends on what he shows me this summer with shooting. He was hitting reliability at 130 yards with the 17HMR. So probably limit him to 150 for this year. The 17 as a 2-7 with poor(shitty) eye relief.

I have 3 Leupold 2 1/2 power FX-II fixed scopes, I wouldn't hesitate use one on a deer out to 250-300. They don't have 47 dials, a bunch of whizzz bang shit on them but they are bright, clear and have lots of eye relief. It's nice light, simple scope with a ton of eye relief for a kid learning to shoot/hunt on a nice little basic rifle. Did mention simple and easy to use?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
your slipping some one said a positive comment about vortex and not shots taken? :D

Who am I to argue when someone is determined to buy, light, and place upon their front porch their very own flaming bag of dogshit?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Way back when i was 14 it was tradition, i think, to hunt deer with a model 94 30-30. As one knows no scope and dad said to quit shooting when you can not see the deer anymore. Probably better than those 22 HP Savage model 99 my distance cousin used but i did graduate to one of those model 99 in 250-3000 which lack a scope.
My brother, yes, model 94.

So my first son goes on his first deer hunt and quess what i got him and he got the same instruction i got.
My first daughter goes on her first hunt and yes, no sense changing tradition. Second daughter refuse to even take hunters safety and then my last daughter.
She was eager to please dad and I was eager to get her a model 94 in 30-30.
However my last son said no way so i bought him a remington youth 700 in 7mm-08 and no ideal what i put on for a scope but he did get a scope for his first hunt and probably a little better caliber to hunt with.

I do have 10 of those 30-30 from an old Marlin made in 1905 and on up. None with scope. I would tend to agree maybe not the best first rifle let alone maybe not the best sites to hunt with in open country. In fact maybe not even the best second or third best rifle to hunt with.
But it was tradition as I was told.

So one day I have this model 92 made in 1917 in 25-20, iron site just like the rifle that kill the Jordan buck, one day me and that model 92, we will make history again just like the Jordan buck (however I will not wait 40 or so years to get my due like Jordan did). Even have a box of bullets that appear to have been made back way back when to use on that there buck that will make me known in the world of whitetail hunting. db-2

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74