Private Landowners Hunting Public Lands

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was out in the western part of the state this weekend turkey hunting and I noticed a pickup that had a sticker on it that said Something Farms, Mott (sorry, can't remember the name). I assumed that they were private landowners. Isn't that what gratis tags are for, so they can hunt their own land? I bet if I asked them if I could hunt on their land they would say no.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to clarify so that I understand your position. Are you saying that if you own land, you should not be allowed to hunt public land?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has to be a troll job...I mean nobody can be this stupid can they?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL Has been more than a few doozy questions from the web in last month or so.

Last edited:

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
say-what-now--meme-3397.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out in the western part of the state this weekend turkey hunting and I noticed a pickup that had a sticker on it that said Something Farms, Mott (sorry, can't remember the name). I assumed that they were private landowners. Isn't that what gratis tags are for, so they can hunt their own land? I bet if I asked them if I could hunt on their land they would say no.

1FB213F7-69E6-4782-82A6-4E701837FD8F.gif

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
They like to push the public and unposted land in the morning and hunt their posted land in the afternoon

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What if the private land owned has no turkeys? Those people are just SOL?
I’m someone that fits your description. I own private land. It used to have turkeys but not anymore. I used to hunt them there but not exclusively. I suppose I could get a gratis tag but I’d have a better chance killing a turkey from my office or my couch at home. Now I hunt public land and other private land that actually has birds on it.

I also hunt pheasants, antelope, ducks, grouse, partridge and geese on public land...and private land. I don’t get a deer gratis tag but I could. I do shoot a deer on my own land every year. I also let a few kids come and shoot does and occasionally a buddy shoots a deer too.

For the most part I like to hunt where the game is. I like maximizing my time afield. I’m not afraid to ask permission on someone else’s land and I’m not afraid to hunt public land. The family land is posted and is invite only in addition to family. To be honest sometimes I hunt public land to avoid the pressure the rest of my family puts on it or to give them a better opportunity by reducing the pressure I put on it.

I’m all ears for someone to let me know the sins I am committing.

Last edited:

Bob Erfish

Honored Member
I’m not so sure drayweb was thinking when he suggested private land owners should only hunt on there land. I’m guessing any avid hunter, such as Dirty, would have to venture out on public land from time to time to chase game.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is someone is fishing to try to get rude comments and back and forth to further divide public/private .. dont take the bait.

ElkHunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

haha.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL.

I'm also a landowner. I rarely hunt the deer on my land, mostly because they know me and I could damn near club them at times. Doesn't seem sporting to me, so I hunt other private and public lands.

And I also let a fairly large number of people (on a per acre basis) hunt my land, but control it so as to keep it a quality experience for them.

Don't take this the wrong way drayweb, we all know some landowners who are guilty of shitty practices (running game from public onto their land, etc), but landowners are also public land owners and welcome to hunt it as such.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55