SE ND Fishing

jasperbjugstad

Hey all. Looking for some techniques for bass fishing in late April/early May. I have gotten a couple tugs, but nothing to get excited about. I still have yet to reel in my first one this year. Also if anyone knows of any good places in southeastern North Dakota, any help and direction would be greatly appreciated as I live around Lisbon, ND and I can only handle Dead Colt Creek for so long. Thank you!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all. Looking for some techniques for bass fishing in late April/early May. I have gotten a couple tugs, but nothing to get excited about. I still have yet to reel in my first one this year. Also if anyone knows of any good places in southeastern North Dakota, any help and direction would be greatly appreciated as I live around Lisbon, ND and I can only handle Dead Colt Creek for so long. Thank you!

Back in the day when we actually had large mouth bass around Bismarck (other than Lake Nelson), I would use a Carolina rigged worm in the spring. Loved that style of fishing. Moved it very slow...line would jump when they hit. I tried different colors until I found one they liked. Kinda followed the "use natural colors in clear water, bright colors in stained water" rule.

That guy

Honored Member
I would try Ashtabula in the shallows for smallmouth; if the water is clear and not too windy you can sight fish with your what ever flikershad you choose.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Small mouth bass in Elsie by Hankinson. Clausen Springs by Kathryn for large mouth. River at Fort Ransom for smallies and any low head dams south of Valley City for Small Mouth.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

I would think it is time for a new hand or even add a couple to the arsenal. The more tugs you get, I would think should UP the excitement. :) And if all else fails go fishing and throw the whole tackle box at em until you find the one they want.

jasperbjugstad

Thank you all so much! I will continue trying what I got along with all tips. You guys rock for helping a brother out. Good luck out there and stay safe!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try Ashtabula in the shallows for smallmouth; if the water is clear and not too windy you can sight fish with your what ever flikershad you choose.
Yep there are some monster smallies in Ash. Pretty good smallmouth fishing all along the Sheyenne river too.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smallmouth on the Sheyenne...my favorite topic. Anywhere from Lisbon on up to Baldhill Dam is money for nice bronzebacks. The bite should be on this time of year on up to Memorial Day, but watch the flow out of Baldhill Dam, it's too high now (4/24, 1500cfs). When you get back in that 300-600cfs range, things will be better. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05058000 - Bookmark that link so you know what to expect.

When the water goes down, target rip-rap, timber, bridge pilings, creek and gully deltas and other structure. Where you can drop a canoe or small boat in, there's tons to explore, if you have that option. Use a 1/8 ounce leadhead jig with a 3" curlytail grub will catch smallies, walleyes, white bass and more. My go-to has always been orange jig with yellow tail on the river. I also use a 4" bass tube on a 3/0 hook with a 1/8 ounce bullet weight - watermelon, pumpkinseed and the occasional pearl color when things are dingy. In summer, you can turn smallies on a spinnerbait or inline as well. In areas that have fish but less snags, jerkbaits like the X-rap can be good, but know where you're throwing them!

Enjoy, it's one of my favorite places on Earth!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member

What have you been trying for lures at this point? May have to either down size or slow down

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think anything eats bullheads!!!

Relatively popular bait for walleye out east if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/walleye-love-those-bullheads/

pollywogs

Bullheads are also called “pollywogs“; “pollies“; “mud cats“; “horned pout“; “hornpout“; “river cats”; "barbotte"; and other names.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ftlgeneral_788886/

And of course Salmo lures makes a crankbait that looks like a 'bullhead' for a reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR22bsL4_E

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74