22 ammo and model 52

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad did like guns and when he passed still had some and I did inherit a handful or two including two Winchester 22 target rifles, a model 75 and model 52.
As a lad I did a lot of hunting with the 75 sitting up in the pasture and seeing if I could hit a gopher or mud hen at a bunch of yards.
Took the Juntertl scope off the 75 and put on the model 52. Was told in its day the 52 was one of the more accurate rifles on the market. Single shot.
Back in time, once the 22 ammo got cheaper, I said never again and would buy a box on sale when we when to the city. So I have a bunch of different brands and sat out today to see if there was a different in brands with the 52 at 26 big steps, five shots over the engine hood of the vehicle.
Not much for target shooting and in basic training I sat in a fox hole, raining for over an hour to get three shots from a m-14 under the size of a nickle.

So:
Afterwards I found out one is not to shoot stingers in the gun as they will damage the gun (I did not know the case is longer in a stinger). Is that right? 15 shells and I guess that ends that.
The Federal match ammo in the lower left and lower right corner I felt shot the best group.
I bought a brick of Aguila not knowing what they were. Had 8 shells so shot all and I was please with the group in the top left.
Stingers shot good and the rest not as good but I will assume that is more me that the shells.

So if I am going to show off the model 52(the gun is better than I am) I need to practice, get a bench rest and then practice some more and at 50 yards have all holes touching. More match ammo.
Scope would sometimes be fuzz at the target and sometimes I would see two crosshairs but again I am sure that is me. If I am going to shoot an old gun it will be with an old scope.

Attachments

DSC00046.jpg DSC00055.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Set the parallax properly for the range you're shooting.

2. Focus the ocular lens once the parallax is set.

It's now likely to shoot well w/any ammo you want to feed it.

For a very accurate "hunting" gopher/blackbird type round, I'd probably be shooting CCI Mini-Mag 36gn HP's.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you still buy Winchester Dynapoint anywhere? They shot as good as Federal Match for me. The last time I bought them at a Kmart for $9.99 for a brick. I had 28 bricks at one time. Down to one brick now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB Your Dad had a fine taste for target rifles. Was he a target shooter or did he just have a good taste for fine guns ? I shot a loaner 52 heavy Bbl with a Unertl scope for a couple of years back in the day. That one shot just as good with Winchester t22s and federal champions as it did Eley 10x . We were shooting 4 position only at 50' but that shot like a dream. At one time I was sure I'd own a 52 someday but I never did make it happen. when you look at that setup the way the scope is free floating you would wonder how and why they shoot so well but they do. Those are amazing rifles.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
sdmf:

I feel first i need to learn and understand the scope. At the end it has adjustments with a bunch of numbers and other markings that go from 50 feet to 200 yards. Never did get any training from the old man or anyone on scopes and how they work,

Hopefully the internet can help on what this all means. Got a lot to learn but i hope to be able to group under one inch in time at 100 yards or at least that is my goal for now. Not sure if that is possible with a 22 or maybe for some it is a easy mark.
I did shoot some at 50 yards and with the Federals the whole group would be cover by less than a quarter. Always one or two seems to stray off.
Looking forward to this project for the summer. Rifle range here used by the cops will not work for 100 yards. And they must all just leave the spend casting on the ground. Have pickup all kinds of 223, 308 and what ever they have for their pistols. Can also find unspend shells and today there were some short 45 shells (I think) that I did put into my collection. db

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
sdmf:

I feel first i need to learn and understand the scope. At the end it has adjustments with a bunch of numbers and other markings that go from 50 feet to 200 yards. Never did get any training from the old man or anyone on scopes and how they work,

Hopefully the internet can help on what this all means. Got a lot to learn but i hope to be able to group under one inch in time at 100 yards or at least that is my goal for now. Not sure if that is possible with a 22 or maybe for some it is a easy mark.
I did shoot some at 50 yards and with the Federals the whole group would be cover by less than a quarter. Always one or two seems to stray off.
Looking forward to this project for the summer. Rifle range here used by the cops will not work for 100 yards. And they must all just leave the spend casting on the ground. Have pickup all kinds of 223, 308 and what ever they have for their pistols. Can also find unspend shells and today there were some short 45 shells (I think) that I did put into my collection. db

Objective end (furthest from your eye) has the numbers. Set that for the distance you're shooting. Do this 1st. You'll adjust this for large changes in distance and/or any time you "know" the distance and are going to have a target session. For shooting gophers/blackbirds you could probably set it @ 50yds and be good enough to make it work for hunting accuracy. For shooting groups and/or sighting-in, set the parallax adjustment as precisely as possible.

Ocular is the "eyepiece" you look through end. Now that your parallax is set, you can use the focus on the ocular end. Once the eyepiece is focused, you're done, and really shouldn't have to touch that again, ever, unless someone messes with it. I'd go as far as to wrap a bit of electrical tape over the threads once you've established "your" spot in the focus range.

Neither of these will have any effect regarding point of impact/point of aim. POI/POA are adjusted with the 2 knobs near the middle of the scope, one on top for elevation, one coming out to the right for windage.

The idea behind Parallax and focus is to get the crosshairs into the same focal plane as the target as well as to "focus out" the curvature of all of the lenses in the scope. It will flatten your image and allow the crosshairs to appear as though they're "right on" the target.

I lust over a sporter in both models.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got rid of the double cross hair and the fuzzy target so thanks for the help.

Then decided to try 10 rounds at 52 big steps and 10 rounds at a another 52 big steps for around 90-100 yards.
May need to change my goal but now have a base to start with and need to build a bench rest.
Practice and I am sure the right ammo will help.
Got my battery out of my scooter and charge up, changed the oil, filter and wash the dust off. Put on some AC-DC, Old mill in the cup holder and down main street.
Life is what it is and at 73 it has to be good from now on. db-2

Attachments

DSC00061.jpg DSC00064.jpg
Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB
What year is your Goldwing?
What Trike kit do you have?
We have a 2010 Honda Goldwing California Side Car Trike kit.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2003 with a Champion trike kit that was new two years ago when i bought. 30,000 miles on bike.
Would not mind seeing a picture of years.

Still have my 1989 Goldwing and I do miss the turns but will need to sell this spring. Too old to drive a two wheel bike.

The plan was with retirement to ride a bunch but not sure just what the lady and i will do now. Funny how this virus thing happen right after i retire in Janurary and it surprising how little one spends now staying at home somewhat.
How does one keep the chips off the rear fenders? db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has that plastic-cote on the lower front of the fenders and seems to work well. They also make covers with snaps for the lower front fenders.
I have seen pictures of some that had line-x installed on them on lower fenders too. They said you have to go to the best grade of Line-X or it looks terrible after a year or two.
Will put some pictures of mine on here as i have to take new ones. Other ones i had were on the computer that died!

- - - Updated - - -

2003 with a Champion trike kit that was new two years ago when i bought. 30,000 miles on bike.
Would not mind seeing a picture of years.

Still have my 1989 Goldwing and I do miss the turns but will need to sell this spring. Too old to drive a two wheel bike.

The plan was with retirement to ride a bunch but not sure just what the lady and i will do now. Funny how this virus thing happen right after i retire in Janurary and it surprising how little one spends now staying at home somewhat.
How does one keep the chips off the rear fenders? db

A couple guys told me down here in AZ that the old Goldwings are bringing pretty good money as old geezers like us want them again.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here ya go DB.
We bought it used about 5 years ago or so. We only added a couple cup holders, the flag stands and flags, LED lights all around, & a couple other things. The previous owner added all the chrome and everything else, got it the way he wanted it and he lost his left leg to diabetes so he traded it off for a Can Am Spyder and we walked into the dealership (BadBoysCustom Cycles) Cokato, Mn right then just by chance outside Minneapolis and bought it.
Tried to get us to pay extra for all the accessories and chrome and i told the salesman it looks nice but i am too crippled to keep it polished so i'm not paying any extra. 3 hours later we told them we are leaving and won't pay a penny more than i offered. We climbed into our pickup and had enclosed trailer along. We were pulling out and the salesman came running out and accepted our offer.
It only had 5,000 miles on it and now we have 13,700.
We enjoy it along with our Polaris General.
The concrete slopes on the front end and rear end photos if it looks tilted or something.

Trike 1.jpgTrike 2.jpgTrike 3.jpgTrike 4.jpg

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fracman:
Watch the video and i find it hard to believe in the variation of the holes from one ammo to another.
I do not have sound on this computer so later will need to watch on ipad where i have sound to understand better but if all those shots were from the same rifle i believe a lot of the problem with this variation has to do with the rifle he used.

My shots where the first time i used the model 52D and on the hood of the Dodge. In fact, this is the first time i remember ever shooting at targets with one of my 22. I have 300 rounds of the Federal target grade and 500 rounds of the Aguila and once i get the bench rest build will try again. Still plan to have 100 yard shots under a inch. Maybe not but will soon find out. However if my experience in shooting out of the 52 would of been like his i would of ended the whole thing now. I did not find that much different in one shell to another but was at 25 yards.

So will watch with sound and maybe have a different understanding after that but maybe that 52 is as good as they say or those 10 shots at 50 and 100 yard shots I did came from the Aguila shell.

I feel the stingers where excellent too but with the longer case they say it can hurt the rifle and if it does or not i do not want to test those waters.
So thanks for the video and wiil watch with sound. db

- - - Updated - - -

Broken back:

Nice and not sure if it dark gray or black but I assume the Harley boys would accept you into the pack. Excellent shape and well care for.

Mine came with those running boards and I thought of taking off like yours to give in less of an old man's bike look. Will think more about that now.
Thanks for the pictures and will need to look some more to appreciate better. db

- - - Updated - - -

By the way were are all the catus i thought arizon had and not evergreens, must be in the mountains.

- - - Updated - - -

And i need to get the hitch to pull my camper with.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Watch with sound and we both came up with the Federal target as best as fracman stated so hope to see how the winchester 52 does next week on a bench rest and if I am able to shoot up to the par of that rifle. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB
We are in Payson which is around 100 miles give or take North of Phoenix or the Valley as they call it down here.
We are at around 5,100' at our house so quite a bit higher than the Valley and around 20 degrees or so cooler too.
We have kind of like desert and lots of pine trees here, best of both worlds. Going to the Valley and lots of cactus there. It is a pretty drive to the Valley and over to Flagstaff or Flag as the locals call it. We didn't know there were so many trees in Arizona either till we came down looking for property to build on. Drove through Payson and we liked the area and the people so here we are.
We like Grey but they call this color a brown, it is officially called Metallic Titanium. It looks grey to most people. We don't like black on motorcycles or really we don't like black on toys as too hard to keep clean. Our General is somewhat black and wish it wasn't.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74