Question experienced fishermen

Oldmud

Just picked up a good used 16 ft tiller fishing boat- not comfortable doing maiden voyage out on the river. Haven’t fished this area much. Is there a decent place (within driving of Bismarck) to load and unload and still let my kid have a shot a catching a fish? I’m going tomorrow (so hopefully there are less boaters)
I’m not a rookie boat operator- but this will be first outing in this boat). Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone has info about Sweet Briar....was thinking of taking my grandkids out in a few weeks/

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
McDowell is electric only, and I'm not even sure it's open yet. Or will be open during the whole social distancing thing, it's kind of a unique animal.

Sweet Briar is a no-wake lake, as is Harmon (I think). Nelson is a catch and release place due to the fish being full of parasites. Crown Butte is electric and no live bait lake.

If you are looking to get out and really test things, I'd suggest New Johns. Or run south of BisMan to the Fort Rice or Hazelton ramps. It's nearly lake-like down there and you should be able to find a fish or two. Note, you will also find about 150 of your boat owning neighbors, which is a double edged sword. You will be able to mimic them for navigation and finding fish, but will also have to deal with busy ramps.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
McDowell is electric only, and I'm not even sure it's open yet. Or will be open during the whole social distancing thing, it's kind of a unique animal.

Sweet Briar is a no-wake lake, as is Harmon (I think). Nelson is a catch and release place due to the fish being full of parasites. Crown Butte is electric and no live bait lake.

If you are looking to get out and really test things, I'd suggest New Johns. Or run south of BisMan to the Fort Rice or Hazelton ramps. It's nearly lake-like down there and you should be able to find a fish or two. Note, you will also find about 150 of your boat owning neighbors, which is a double edged sword. You will be able to mimic them for navigation and finding fish, but will also have to deal with busy ramps.

All true. On the other hand, should you experience troubles, there will be about 150 guys within sight, to give you a hand. Most, if not all, would help out a guy and his kid.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74