Pergola foundation

3geese4me

Honored Member
I am building a pergola for my back patio. The soil behind the house is very heavy in clay and digging a footing would be quite labor intensive. Can I get by with setting concrete precast bases directly on the ground for the uprights? Or, is digging a hole below the frost line for the precast my only option?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most people dont dig below frost line for decks. So I assume you wouldn't have to for a pergola. Point of note though... it's been a good year since I stayed at a holiday inn express.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will this be free standing or attached to a structure that has footings below the frost line? If freestanding then using a precast base on the ground is ok. If attaching to a preexisting structure with footing below the frost line then dig down.

3geese4me

Honored Member
It’s going to be freestanding. I didn’t think I would need to dig down, but I wanted to consult with the local experts to verify.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the structure itself you need to think about uplift and may want more than a just a precast base sitting on the ground

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikka is correct for structural integrity.

However, I know nothing about your local code. If you need a building permit, they will help guide you.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally would be a little leery about setting the base above ground. That being said, a good alternative, depending on how hard your soil is, consider setting your forms up to be poured for your bases, and then in the middle use a post hole digger to get maybe a foot down just in the center, then pour your pads. This should prevent as much settling, as well as prevent the base from ever shifting. JMHO

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
With our wind it might make it a year without being in the ground

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check your building codes, you don't want any surprises like having to tear it down.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
3Geese, I have to ask, what's the purpose and appeal of a pergola? I don't "get it".

With our wind it might make it a year without being in the ground

I've got a 12'x24' deck with a roof set on pre-cast bases. We're just starting season 5. I've had to get underneath and add 1" cement blocks under the pre-cast piers due to settling, never had anything even remotely close to blowing away. I've sat out under the roof in some pretty ferocious winds and never ever felt like I was about to become the next Dorothy nor Toto.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clay soils are super expansive when wet or dry and freeze thaw. Me I would get a post hole digger and digg down cut a piece of sono tube and pot concrete and then attach it to that. Inexpensive and you long term won’t have problems. I get calls all the time and fixing half assed stufff costs more than doing it properly the first time

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spend the money once and do it right.
Dig holes and use sauna tubes or make them out of stiff tar paper.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could look at diamond piers, they are used for decks in Bismarck, okayed by the city also. I have no personal experience but will be in the future.

3geese4me

Honored Member
3Geese, I have to ask, what's the purpose and appeal of a pergola? I don't "get it".

I've got a 12'x24' deck with a roof set on pre-cast bases. We're just starting season 5. I've had to get underneath and add 1" cement blocks under the pre-cast piers due to settling, never had anything even remotely close to blowing away. I've sat out under the roof in some pretty ferocious winds and never ever felt like I was about to become the next Dorothy nor Toto.

It's something my wife likes aesthetically. Friends of ours have one and it allows for shade in the summer and also lets the heat escape without being trapped under the roof. This will be on the east side of the house so wind won't be an issue for the most part. It's just something that I'm gonna build to make her happy and hopefully get lucky once or twice this summer..

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have counselors for those gambling addictions, just saying . . .

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the structure itself you need to think about uplift and may want more than a just a precast base sitting on the ground

This. Picture a trampoline, which really doesn't have much to catch the wind (nothing but a big screen) and how they just sail away.

If the pergola doesn't have any sort of fabric, the wind may not get it, but if there's any exposure to the breeze, the wind will find a way.

As others have said, the rule in ND USED TO BE, if it's attached to your house or garage, it will need to have footings that go down past frost (48").

Say the posts are 4x4's. If you dig a hole 50" deep, place pea gravel in the bottom of the hole for drainage, drop a concrete block down for the 4x4 to rest upon, and then scab on a 12" long piece of 2x4 on all four sides, at the bottom (this keeps the 4x4 from pulling out of the ground) you should be all set.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW:

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Yes, I tinned the roof shortly after this pic. The only problem I can think of is that I don't get to spend as much time there as I'd like to.

★ Legendary Member
Might I suggest a slightly different option for you? Helped my brother do this over a concrete patio. Placed a metal post on each corner to attach a shade sail too. Can have a eye loop on top of each corner running nylon rope attached to a clip and tie off further down the post. Takes a couple minutes to put the sail up and down and won't have to worry about staining/maintenance. When I do this at my next home I am planning on using the metal poles stop signs are on(plan on painting them). I priced them at dakota fence last year and they even have an anchor system as well. I thought they were very affordable. Can see if I can get pictures if you would like.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67