holy white bass batman...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing the west end of sak this spring seems like fishing devils... wtf??? can't hardly get a minnow to the bottom without a bass attack...

are these bastages stocked???

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that I know of other than the fist time like smallies. With the high water the last few years; its created the perfect senerio for spawinig of all fish. All the high water has created a more diverse fishery. Ive never had more fun learning new ways to catch fish on Sakakawea. Especially if you stay stubborn to the shallow bite; you can catch alot of fish.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that I know of other than the fist time like smallies. With the high water the last few years; its created the perfect senerio for spawinig of all fish. All the high water has created a more diverse fishery. Ive never had more fun learning new ways to catch fish on Sakakawea. Especially if you stay stubborn to the shallow bite; you can catch alot of fish.

Hell yes! Variety is the spice of life

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got into the white bass way back in shell creek bay by van hook couple springs ago looking for Walters. Sat and caught bass for a solid 30 mins until the kids got bored actually pretty freaking fun!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’d rather catch white bass, smallmouth, pike, crappie, carp, and the list goes on over walleye. I’d rather eat walleye hands down, but they are about the least fighting fish around unless they are about 7 or 8 pounds plus. Big White bass are an absolute blast!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I scale them, gut them, wet brine, then smoke em whole.

- - - Updated - - -

I remove gills too

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i kinda like them fried too
People used to keep a lot of them back in the day when the walleye fishing was down. Either eat white bass or eat nothing. Some people can’t tell the difference.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are the steps to smoking white bass?

We used to cut the heads and tails off, slit the belly down to the sphincter and pull the guts out. Then take to west dakota or butcher block. They would split em and the fish would peel right off the skin.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got on a good school of them last spring at Devils. It was a tough day so we kept 15 of them. Just fried up the lastof them last night and I do have to say they are pretty good when you cut off the red muscle meat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got on a good school of them last spring at Devils. It was a tough day so we kept 15 of them. Just fried up the lastof them last night and I do have to say they are pretty good when you cut off the red muscle meat.

agreed - and if you don’t remove every milligram of red meat you’ll know it - ha ha

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been a long time, but I recall lots of bones. What happens to the bones when smoking? Guywhocancooklikethedevil, did you cut the head and tail off?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was just amazed at the numbers and size... a lot of them were pushing 2# if not over... have yet to see one under 12" in probably 100 caught over the last couple weeks...

what size are you guys keeping to eat, and can they be deboned, or just smoke or fry them whole and peel the meat off the bones???

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any place one can go and shore fish out west, is this near New Town? I used to fish them back on the Great Lakes with spinners, but not out here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Getting rid of the red meat is a MUST!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been a long time, but I recall lots of bones. What happens to the bones when smoking? Guywhocancooklikethedevil, did you cut the head and tail off?

sometimes - just for the lady-folk I remove the heads/tails

stores more compactly that way - but I prefer to leave them on old school when I can get away with it

the bones are pretty huge and they run in "seams" so it's easy to deal with them

- part of the joy of eating smoked fish is the picking it off the skin/bone IMO - except salmon, I have a pin bone tweezer for them

then again - I love everything still on the bone if I have a choice - keeps one connected to their animal self - ba ha ha

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79