69,937 deer tags in 2020

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the slow and stead approach. The quality of deer seems to be increasing every year. I'm no horn hunter, but it's nice to see more "decent" whitetail buck around than 15-20 years ago.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh I agree I’m not complaining. I think somewhere around 70-75k tags is about right . We don’t have habitat to support many more deer and hunters than that . Overall they are doing it right I believe . And yes the quality has gone up big time

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like mule buck in 4D is reduced from 450 in 2019 to 396 for 2020

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of deer where taken bow season too a lot more hunters is reason

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
More mule doe tags ...... why in gods green earth would they sell Mule deer F***ing doe tags..... aren’t they trying to build the heard ?

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of deer where taken bow season too a lot more hunters is reason
I’m a bow hunter , I fill most of my rifle and gratis tags with a bow , having said that I think it’s time to move to a draw for bow tags especially for resident mule deer bowhunting

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m a bow hunter , I fill most of my rifle and gratis tags with a bow , having said that I think it’s time to move to a draw for bow tags especially for resident mule deer bowhunting[/QUOTE]

It’s easy to say this when you clearly have land and receive a free deer tag. Try to look at from other peoples perspective too for a change.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets tighten the system down because either way 8booneandcrocketsandcounting over here is covered. Haha

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m a bow hunting advocate. To be clear - if we moved to a one tag system I would choose the bow tag every time . But you can’t deny the facts and facts are bow hunters are killing a lot of deer especially out west . Heck I bet the number of deer killed in this state by a bow are not super far behind rifle .

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m a bow hunting advocate. To be clear - if we moved to a one tag system I would choose the bow tag every time . But you can’t deny the facts and facts are bow hunters are killing a lot of deer especially out west . Heck I bet the number of deer killed in this state by a bow are not super far behind rifle .

You on crack?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
No . Why ? What was so funny ?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok all I could find was 2018 numbers . Supposedly about 9,000 deer were taken by archery equipment and about 31,000 with rifle so I was way off obviously rifles still take more but by their numbers they say archery hunters had a success rate of 40 percent . That’s high . And will only go up . Another funny thing , I’ve bought archery tags for 30 years and I’ve never ever been surveyed . I go to Montana deer hunting every year and every December or January I get a call . This should be done better in ND .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is quite a spread in the number of bow tags filled and the number of deer killed with a bow.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes, the annual blame the bow hunters circle-jerk. You guys should get t-shirts made for this annual event.:;:smokin

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bow hunting is a lot of work. That said if you have some time, a bunch of corn with a timed feeder, trail cams that send pics to your phone and a new bow that shoots like butter, you are probably going to kill a deer.

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bow hunting is a lot of work. That said if you have some time, a bunch of corn with a timed feeder, trail cams that send pics to your phone and a new bow that shoots like butter, you are probably going to kill a deer.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.....stick to holding walleyes out with your arms extended. :) :::

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would we really know ? I know tons of bow hunters including myself that have never been surveyed

Very true, I've never even heard of anyone around my area that has received a survey. They put out these numbers but where is the factual, confirmed information to back it up? I've never seen anything published.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very true, I've never even heard of anyone around my area that has received a survey. They put out these numbers but where is the factual, confirmed information to back it up? I've never seen anything published.
Mandatory reporting would be the best way . Everyone has access to a smart phone or computer, just set a deadline date , say a week after the bow season that everyone who bought a bow tag has to report it they harvested a deer or not . Simple . Same could be done for rifle and muzzleloader. Then maybe they could adjust tag numbers more accordingly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74