Car tires VS Gravel Roads

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently got my first car have had in a long time since needing to commute farther going to leave the pickup in the quonset. Will be needing new tires soon and seeing if anyone has had good luck with anything specific mainly holding up on gravel/scoria roads? I drive a minimum of 12 miles of gravel a day to get to the highway and my other job is about 40 miles of gravel round trip. With low ply car tires not sure how well they going to hold up. Any other rural guys that run a good bit of gravel having luck with anything specific or to for sure stay away from? Local tire shop recommended TOYO Celsius going to do some looking into them. I need size 225/60R16 if it makes a difference. Thanks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be able to get an LT 6-ply in that size.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soft tires wear faster on gravel, but work better in winter. Hard tires last longer on gravel, but also not as good in winter. In my experience, Michelin are harder , but I did not like for winter on pavement, but did last longer on the gravel. Kinda hard to find that balance.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
6 ply, all you have is flats, go 10 ply

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soft tires wear faster on gravel, but work better in winter. Hard tires last longer on gravel, but also not as good in winter. In my experience, Michelin are harder , but I did not like for winter on pavement, but did last longer on the gravel. Kinda hard to find that balance.

Thats strange my Michelin were all full of cracks. The tire shop told me Michelin were so hard that when they struck a rock on gravel roads they woukd get surface cracks. My tires looked like someone went nuts with a sipe machine.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ask your tire shop just what will they stand behind for warranty. Go from there.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what is strange. ???? I did say the Michelin were hard.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maddog and AR-15 obviously failed reading comprehension.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think our CX5 has hancook and our old Jeep had Michelin. Not saying we are on the same gravel and there is no scoria out here but I have been pretty happy with those. I would really be checking around on warranty and the LT option as LBrandt and SDMF stated

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about 215/70R16 in an LT 6-ply? I know that 6-ply AT's on a car will probably look kinda funny, but, it's a gravel-road work-car, not a cruise Main on Friday/Sat night car so fewer flats likely vastly outweigh what your tires look like I suspect.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i was you, i'd check into bfg ko2's and see if they have a size that would work... have run them on 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks for years on every surface and am completely sold on them... great traction and pretty good mileage from every set...

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about 215/70R16 in an LT 6-ply? I know that 6-ply AT's on a car will probably look kinda funny, but, it's a gravel-road work-car, not a cruise Main on Friday/Sat night car so fewer flats likely vastly outweigh what your tires look like I suspect.

I will definitely look into that option thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes its hard to decide. I'm probably going to do like on my older car i had 2 sets of wheels one with winter tires and one with summer worked awesome. If look around can usually find old sets of wheels for cars for $100 or less. same price as to get the winter/summer tires remounted just one time so saves you money and easy to just change back and fourth whenever you like.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes its hard to decide. I'm probably going to do like on my older car i had 2 sets of wheels one with winter tires and one with summer worked awesome. If look around can usually find old sets of wheels for cars for $100 or less. same price as to get the winter/summer tires remounted just one time so saves you money and easy to just change back and fourth whenever you like.

I do the 2-set of wheels with my wife's car, my pickup, and my work car. Dedicated soft-compound, multi-siped, walnut-shell infused winter tires hold the road and STOP so much better than all-season tires that I consider them a necessity.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put Toyo Celcius tires on the wife's CRV last fall and they have been great. We live on gravel as well but don't put on nearly that many miles. The winter traction is outstanding and they are pretty quiet once they are driven a bit. For an all season / all weather tire I don't think they can be beat for cars and light suv's.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently got my first car have had in a long time since needing to commute farther going to leave the pickup in the quonset. Will be needing new tires soon and seeing if anyone has had good luck with anything specific mainly holding up on gravel/scoria roads? I drive a minimum of 12 miles of gravel a day to get to the highway and my other job is about 40 miles of gravel round trip. With low ply car tires not sure how well they going to hold up. Any other rural guys that run a good bit of gravel having luck with anything specific or to for sure stay away from? Local tire shop recommended TOYO Celsius going to do some looking into them. I need size 225/60R16 if it makes a difference. Thanks

TOYO celsius are excellent tires, however I would really question how well they hold up with all that gravel driving, due to their different tread pattern

I see Nokian makes a tread pattern similiar to the Celsius but in an XL
NOKIAN TIRE ENTYRE 2.0
225 /60 R16 102H XL

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thread: Car tires VS Gravel Roads
Medically speaking, how tiny is your wang? Follow up question, do your friends find you to be as much of a condescending dickbag in person, or is this bravado and knowitall-ness strictly for online use?

I assume either AR-15 or Maddog are irritated that there are no 10-Ply options for passenger cars as I'm also assuming it was one of them who neg-repped me as quoted above for pointing out that they can't read and comprehend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75