Hogs

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
now its getting real -- i even see one ad stating they will let a person gut on site. Now you have me interested. Anybody doing some butchering?

- - - Updated - - -

let me know if you are in fargo and want to make run to get cha a hog.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother and some friends have butchered 9 in the last 2 weeks. We got them live from a local guy that may have to shoot em and dump em if things dont change fast. Between fishing and butchering we laugh in the face of meat shortages.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I had freezer space for a couple of rotisserie sized pigs for summertime. :(

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother and some friends have butchered 9 in the last 2 weeks. We got them live from a local guy that may have to shoot em and dump em if things dont change fast. Between fishing and butchering we laugh in the face of meat shortages.

Where are you getting them from and how much are they charging?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking' a guy better show up with sharp knives and coolers or a freezer/generator on a trailer.

If you're lucky they'll let you use a loader or have a rail for hanging.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have zero problems figuring out how to cut up a hog - having not done one before doesn't spook me. It would be fun in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd cut it into quarters and hold the chunks on ice in big coolers and work my way through it over a few evenings time like I do with my deer.

What's the hanging weight on these critters?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have zero problems figuring out how to cut up a hog - having not done one before doesn't spook me. It would be fun in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd cut it into quarters and hold the chunks on ice in big coolers and work my way through it over a few evenings time like I do with my deer.

we did that a few years back was fun and delicious

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I do this every year. I buy them split and hanging, and butcher myself. The family I've been buying them from out here loves that they don't have to take it to the butcher for me. It's a blast. Incredible how little goes to waste on a pig

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
depends on how heavy. 280#live would hang at 80 to 90 per half I think, might be less though been awhile. Depends on how lean or how fat.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much ground pork you end up with approximately? (Assuming you dont grind chops, roasts, belly, etc.)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I have no problem cutting up --- how does one obtain a dead one as i am sure they arent going to let me dispatch my 9mm in the pen.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have butchered 1 pig before. What is a good price on a hog? I'm see $100 for a 290# live hog. (I have no concept of the price of a pig other than my neighbor raising "special" pigs for $600 a piece live)

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
@ $100 for 290# = .35 cents/#. Sam's had vac-sealed pork shoulders for $1.22 yesterday.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
We butcher our pigs every year. Best if you have a meat band saw, as we make ham steaks, pork ribs, pork chops and roasts. Advantage of the band saw is to cut it to each persons desire, such as thickness or size. There are some good youtube videos that can help if needed. My dad was a butcher when he was younger, so he was very picky on his cuts and that is how I learned. We keep the trim and that is what we add to our deer meat for sausage, and then you have very little waste.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting two 300 lb hogs delivered to Williston from SD for $100 a piece

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been a long time since I butchered my own hog. It's not that difficult if you've ever cut your own deer. A good saw is essential if you like bones in the chops and roasts. I personally think bones add some flavor while cooking. If you don't have a band saw you can bone everything out like most of us do with game.

Many years ago when I raised hogs it seemed the ideal butchering weight was in the 200#-230# range. Has that changed? It's also difficult to compare the price in a store to hanging weight cost. There will be some weight loss from cutting as well as a store does have labor costs for the cutting. Labor costs don't need to be figured if cutting for your own use but should be if cutting for someone else unless she's a really cute neighbor.

One last point I think needs to be said. "Just because the market is in the dump, I don't think it''s fair to the farmers and ranchers to expect them to basically give their livestock away. Be fair with them and it may lead to some benefits for you."

Has anyone ever heard where the animals are coming from in these processing plants that have had such a large number of positive COVID-19 tests? Is there a reason so many of these plants have needed to close down?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I found someone with pigs close to Jamestown I would pay them a decent price for a 200lb pig. I would thnk they would let me use a 22 with a silencer to get in in the truck.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A 200 to 230 lb hog is real lean. I would take my hogs in at 320 to 350. I like close to a inch of fat on my pork chops and not less than 1/4 in on the lean hogs. Fat equals flavor .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77