favor to ask in regard to asparagus and or possibly morel mushrooms

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to morals and asparagus understand wene I come forward with a questions like this it is most definitely not for me. You see I'm not a big fan of eating either but my mother IS and she means the world to me! And now she finds herself at this time cut off from the world as frindes die and other are keeping their distance. She is hold up in her house by herself well her daughter is in Denver as a doctor fighting covid-19 and her older sister in Northwood just died just a few months ago ago with her husband passing just before her. She also is dealing with my own father lying in the VA facility not sure who the hell he is or how to walk so needless to say this first few months of being alone for the first time in her life ( do to covid-19 isolation has been tough) have not been esasy on her so she's a little bit stressed out right now and witht my father slipping away in the VA and all of the other happy horseshit that's been piling on right now and no way to get backup from out of town I need to keep finding new ways to keep her spirits up. I am lucky and that she is a country gal that is easily bemused by rhubarb, asparagus, mushrooms and any other wild garden plants you can find in the woods. Main point is simply this

....break it down to brass tacks is if there anyone near Bismarck Mandan that would be willing give me a helping hand in finding either asparagus or morel mushroom I would be most profoundly grateful? I most certainly do not want you leading me into the he hart of your best hot spots or more so your bread-and-butter spots but more along the lines of just getting me into the right kind of area where there's enough of them that you can help me train my eye in.
But I know it'll bring a smile to my mom's face and god nows she sure the hell needs that!!!

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me see how things go when they start popping up. If they come up like they did last year I'd be willing to share a few pounds.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good man Dean to be thinking about your Mother. Too many nowadays only think about themselves.
Wish i had some info for a location back there in NoDak. We never had any of either on our farm/ranch in Wells County.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would help you if I could Dean. Sounds like a lot going on.
And therein lies the greatest problem of them all ....it may sound like a lots going on but in the end it's the exact opposite. I mean seriously how f***** up is this world we live in where I sit back and think of my father catching this virus and come to the conclusion that that would be a good thing. At least for me there is something inherently wrong seeing a man who was the commander of a military wing now degraded to a man who doesn't even know how to stand up or where he is... A man who served in Afghanistan back of the late 2000s.... Oh how fast the mighty can fall!

But in the end that is likely the same statement and story every son has for their father. We are born into their strength and in the end we are tragically relegated and condemned to watch them become inherently weaker over time.. a state of existence that are young minds fall tragically short of ever being able to truly comprehend.

Ones ageing thanks for the help guys.....here hopping I can keep mom preoccupied long enough that she doesn't go out and do something stupid and get herself killed Lord knows she is the queen of underlying conditions!:;:cheers

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish I could help Dean but all I have to offer is moral support. I know this helpless feeling you speak of, We haven't visited my Mom in over two months and it's not looking good for the near future. She is 99 and can't hear so phone calls are impossible , Sadly she reads the Minot paper every day so she is well aware of her surroundings. She is strong minded so I don't worry about her, It's probably a blessing that she has dementia so she forgets most of what she reads. The good thing about getting older is they have lived a long life , Lots of people that would have been their age have not been as fortunate. If she passed away peacefully in her sleep it would be easier on me that other young family and friends that have passed just in the last month both directly and indirectly from "Rona" . Glad I grew up on a farm and lived most of my life in isolation because I think the isolation is worse than the virus for a lot of people. Hang in there, Someday Corona will be gone and we will still be here.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
And therein lies the greatest problem of them all ....it may sound like a lots going on but in the end it's the exact opposite. I mean seriously how f***** up is this world we live in where I sit back and think of my father catching this virus and come to the conclusion that that would be a good thing. At least for me there is something inherently wrong seeing a man who was the commander of a military wing now degraded to a man who doesn't even know how to stand up or where he is... A man who served in Afghanistan back of the late 2000s.... Oh how fast the mighty can fall!

But in the end that is likely the same statement and story every son has for their father. We are born into their strength and in the end we are tragically relegated and condemned to watch them become inherently weaker over time.. a state of existence that are young minds fall tragically short of ever being able to truly comprehend.

Ones ageing thanks for the help guys.....here hopping I can keep mom preoccupied long enough that she doesn't go out and do something stupid and get herself killed Lord knows she is the queen of underlying conditions!:;:cheers

My dad went downhill fast last summer. 43 year military career, including drill instructor and tank commander. In and out of the hospital the final year. I spent many many MANY hours at St Alexius in Bismarck. His final three weeks were spent at a nursing home in Mandan. He wouldn't eat. Was of clear mind. He was just done. Tired. I get it.

6 months later, he would have surely died of COVID. I'm glad he didn't see this stuff.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Through the years i have seen a lot of old timers just giving up and wanting/waiting to die. They know they are done fighting and hopefully have made peace with our Maker. Especially if they have been in great pain and suffering, they are just spent and ready to go to the other side.
It is something we will all have to go through when the Good Lord calls our number.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m in Bismarck and do some mushroom hunting. I’ll PM you when I go. So far too cold and dry IMO. Feel free to PM me your phone number if you want.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74