What are these hooks for?

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy gave me an old tackle box he got at a garage sale. This was the most intriguing find inside. Anyone know what they might be used for? EAB00C5C-867D-4755-912F-45140F2B7C8C.jpeg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad always called them Norwegian hooks. It's the only thing I ever use with smelt , In from the side of the tail and push the barbed end into the head so it will poke out of the skull when you set the hook . Only problem is that the Giant Rainbow smelt are getting hard to find around here so I have some smaller ones too but I like big smelt and big hooks like that a lot better.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use them to this day. My dad told me that back in old days they use put one of these hooks in every bag of smelt. Threading a hotdog on these hooks works just as well as smelt imho. However, I do not think these are good hooks to use if you wanna catch and release. Hook placement is usually top dead center to the roof of their mouth. Not sure if it is fatal or not but they sure seem to bleed ALOT more when caught on these hooks vs trebles

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw them in the garage. You’ll miss %75 of the fish that bite them worthless things. There’s a reason no one uses them anymore.

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use them all the time. You just can't set the hook, just apply pressure. I don't think we kill as many fish because they can't swallow it like a treble hook. To each their own I guess,

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw them in the garage. You’ll miss %75 of the fish that bite them worthless things. There’s a reason no one uses them anymore.

you can't swim and your blaming it on the water.

- - - Updated - - -

The way my Dad taught me was to wait until the bobber is down 6 inches and set the hook hard and haul them in fast. If you let up on the tension the fish will swim away.

- - - Updated - - -

most of the time as soon as the Northern hits the ice and flops around the hook comes out.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Used them years ago on Jamestown Dam, then we figured out that a tremble hook attached to a piece of coat hanger and the smelt pushed on that worked much better , we were looking to eat the northerns so it did not matter that the hook and smelt ended up in their stomach. I wish I would have kept track of how many we caught that way .

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
"most of the time as soon as the Northern hits the ice and flops around the hook comes out."

ah the beauty of that hook!!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate to be captain obvious but I can picture someone hooking a smelt/hotdog like a minnow instead of mouth to tail and complaining about those damn theif Jacks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It must be in the hook design why Northerns always come in to the head of the smelt with these hooks. My dad could sit in our old wooden fish house for hours looking down the hole and watch fish and I had no choice but to do the same because any little noise would spook them. It depended on the day but when fishing was slow Northerns would usually circle once and stop nose to nose and stare that smelt down and sometimes nudge it and swim away. Other days when the bite was good they would latch on but it was always head first.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76