Need a new cooler

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for recommendations for a cooler that will keep ice for more than a day or two. And I’m not saying necessarily the most expensive. I don’t care if it’s a $20 igloo that you think is the best. Just need something better than what I have for camping and want to get the most out of my money

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's another test, the Orion seems to consistently rate high, but you pay for them. I picked up two of the Cabelas 60qt for $199 a couple years ago, when they were discounting some of their limited colors. They are noticeably more substantial than the Yeti's, but if space is really a premium they may not be right for you.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...own-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed-2/

Also, don't think you absolutely need these expensive heavy ass coolers. I've done a lot of trips with Coleman Xtremes and they do work pretty darn well too for the price, but no they wont hold ice as long if your going for 5-10 days without access to ice.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
RTIC coolers have a sale going on now, I really like mine but they are heavy is the biggest down side. And if you do any hunting in grizzly country the rtics don't have the bear safe certification.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pelican and a yeti and they perform basically identical

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Lifetime brand at walmart...
Seriously.
I bought the 77qt on clearance last fall for $79.
the 55 is currently $97.
It was been great, kept ice in the back of the suv on a yellowstone trip last fall.
Hunting its basically been exactly the same results as my buddys yeti, and a pelican we had along as well.
Seriously good value.
made in USA, bear certification, 5 year warranty.....
Lot of mixed reviews on the 55 but they did upgrade the seal system on the 55 to be the same as the 77 and its been outstanding.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are plenty of good coolers, all depends on how you use it and how much you want to spend, general use and camping it's tough to beat the Coleman eXtreme for price/quality .... getting into a little more durable type cooler the RTIC ones are good as well

...like anything though it is all in how it is used, if you pre-cool a cooler prior to use and try and keep it out of direct sunlight most brands on the market will do what you are requiring it too

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, thanks to the "need a new cooler" thread I decided I needed a new cooler. Bought an RTIC 65 last night. I'm from the eastern side of the state so I'll expect each of you to chip in a little bit to subsidize the cost....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you lift those big fkrs full into your boat full. Unless if the boat is in the water forget it unless if you want to blow out your back. I got a scheels one It didnt work that well - the seal never touched anything and it was for looks only. I bought a wally one and said the one that burns through a gallon block of ice (milk container) first gets taken back. Scheels went back - i think it was good cooler but the seal didnt really touch imo. Anyway the wally fits a 30pack perfectly. Scheels didnt 2nd reason (probably the 1st).

Even that little one is a bitch to carry full.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77