Cabin Options

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a piece of land in central Minnesota that I would like to put a cabin on in the next year or two. We are currently using a camper and have water and electricity on the property. I'm looking for something 800-1000 square feet that won't break the bank. We plan to use it 20-30 nights a year from April through November. I'm open to just about anything from pre-built to kits to any other ideas. Just curious what other have done and what options are out there?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We also own a piece of prop in blue plate country. We currently have a 40ft destination camper on it. We did put in a well, septic and power. We had built a 12x22 deck/ screened in porch semi attached to camper, well butted up to it. and is where we spend most of our time when not outside. Screened in porch is our friend..keeps mosquitos at bay. We do have a futon, bar, fridge, power in porch. I think Home Depot had like a 24 month no interest special going on if you used their card so we got the lumber by going that route. Was referred to an Amish type guy who builds and he and his 2 sons did the build. I'd have to search my memory archives what he charged us. We are over there like every other weekend April - Nov. Didnt break the bank so we are happy we went this route...for now as we are content with this current set up

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many will it need to sleep?

No more than 6.

Thanks for the suggestion 3roosters, but I am definitely not looking to add onto the camper. It is just getting us by until we can get something a little more permanent. We found a nest of baby squirrels in it this weekend, so my wife wants to put the cabin on the fast track now.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slab on grade? Buy a 32x40 Menards garage kit for $9,000 and dig in a septic/storage tank drop in a stool. Finish the inside and windows on the pay as you go plan.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would build a metal building with living quarters. Build the shell and work on the inside at your own pace and as you can afford.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
id check codes on the metal part. my only advice would be to go zero maintenance on as much as possible up front. A lot of people spend their whole weekend on continual landscaping and maintenance and it just becomes work work work. build something you can enjoy. my 2 cents

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with Mike above on the maintenance free part. We know people that got so sick of maintaining that they ended up selling their setup and now miss it minus the maintaining part.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76