Ft Peck Sturgeon Hole

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW! In 25 years of SCUBA diving off the coast of Northern California (and hundreds of SCUBA dives) I can only remember 2 that I did without a spear gun. One out in front of the Monterey Bay Aquarium (didn't think we would be looked at favorably be the tourists hauling fish back into the inflatable) and the other up at Mendocino after a free dive for abalone. My buddy and I did a tank dive to explore more areas to dive for abs.

Did 2 trips to the Caribbean, Grand Cayman and Bonaire, but tourists were prohibited from taking any game ... and there were some BIG BUGS to be had, but it was a no no.

Guess it is illegal to spear fish for sturgeon in Ft. Peck.

I think the only 2 places it is legal to underwater spear fish in ND is DL and Sak.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea spearing for sturgeon in MT if off limits everywhere even though shovelnose sturgeon can be kept whereas in ND they are all off limits. Otherwise in the eastern 2 districts in MT a person can underwater spearfish for nongame and walleye/pike and a few others. Unless shovelnose are in the no game category which may be possible but I’d need to look it up.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those pallid sturgeon or shovelnose? It’s below fort peck in the tailrace

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105