DIY Menards Steel Gutters?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good morning,

Curious if anyone has done their own DIY gutters from Menards?

Got a few quotes on seem-less gutters for my 28x36 garage. While the quoted prices seemed ok, I thought I'd check into doing it myself. I'm looking at the 6 inch K style steel. Yes, it'll have one splice in it for the 36 foot run vs seem-less, as Menards can make up to around 30 foot lengths. Some say to worry about them leaking, others say if you do it right there isn't too much worry about it.

Menards price is about 30% of what the seem-less gutter estimates are, which includes downspouts and elbow and what not. I don't mind trying something new and doing a couple hours of work.

If something like this went well, then I may consider doing my own on the new 130 foot pole barn we had built.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't be cheap on the sealant and you will be fine. Extra hands and good scaffold will help.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but seams will always leak eventually. It's seamless all the way for me.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can do it and make it not leak. But on a garage that size the total cost for seamless wouldn’t be very much. But then again who gives a shit if a couple garage seams leak a little. It’s an unattached garage correct?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they able to do seamless steel gutters now. I thought the extruding machines could only do aluminum gutters and they will bend/dent when a ladder is rested up against them. If that is the case I would vote no on seamless.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they able to do seamless steel gutters now. I thought the extruding machines could only do aluminum gutters and they will bend/dent when a ladder is rested up against them. If that is the case I would vote no on seamless.

You are correct. The quote was for 5 inch aluminum gutters. For some reason we seem to get hail at our place. All roofs on all buildings have been replaced 3 out of 5 last years, and the current roof on the garage is 27g. Thinking the 28g steel gutters would be better than the aluminum overall for smaller hail.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do it and make it not leak. But on a garage that size the total cost for seamless wouldn’t be very much. But then again who gives a shit if a couple garage seams leak a little. It’s an unattached garage correct?

It is a detached garage, about 15 yards from house. Yeah it isn't a huge cost overall, just always trying to be saving money here and there. Then again, sometimes its just easier to have a professional do it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
That cant be more than a few hundred with downspouts can it? I've paid to have mine done the last 10 years. Will never do it myself again.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
That cant be more than a few hundred with downspouts can it? I've paid to have mine done the last 10 years. Will never do it myself again.

About $1000 for having someone coming in and do it vs about $300 for me doing it. Quotes varied about $100 up or down.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
About $1000 for having someone coming in and do it vs about $300 for me doing it. Quotes varied about $100 up or down.

$1000 for 72' of gutter and 2-4 downspouts? That is asinine. Should be half of that at most for aluminum, steel a touch more. Lots of companies out there do seamless steel gutters.

You can certainly get them to seal if you do a good job yourself. Just a challenge to hang the long sections....ladders with standoffs are a must.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
$1000 for 72' of gutter and 2-4 downspouts? That is asinine. Should be half of that at most for aluminum, steel a touch more. Lots of companies out there do seamless steel gutters.

You can certainly get them to seal if you do a good job yourself. Just a challenge to hang the long sections....ladders with standoffs are a must.

Every place I've called is $12-15 a foot. Aluminum or steel.

IF I do decide to do it myself, I will have about 3 of us there doing it. I'll also have an electric scissor lift and scaffolding. Going to get a few more quotes and probably decide in next few weeks or so.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With that equipment and help go for it and have a hell of a party after. Still have some cash left.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our local guys are $6/ft for 5" and $7/foot for 6". Plus downspouts. Where are you located?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76